Which DAC to get?
May 28, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #31 of 40
epicfailman, you should get the compass as it is a very highly regarded dac/amp combo and it's a win either way. though, i have reason to believe that the beresford 7520 is a better sounding dac even though i never heard the compass.

there's a comparison review between compass vs. stello here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/com...arison-422928/

the review suggest that the compass while is a decent dac it isn't quite as good as the stello. now, i haven't heard the compass, but i have heard and owned the oritek which is comparable and sometimes preferred over the benchmark dac1 and lavry da10. i do own the beresford now and i prefer it over the oritek, so logic does suggest that the beresford is comparable to dac1, da10 and possibly better than the compass.

i'm not trying to diss the compass or offend anyone. i just don't want people to disregard an absolutely great sounding dac because some people don't like the designer/vendor or because there are other "fake" models out there. in the end it comes down to the sound right? who cares who made it or where it comes from? just my honest opinion. flame on!
evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #33 of 40
Where do you guys think the Cambridge DACMagic fits in to all this?

I am debating going full size to possibly get to use of my PS3 as a source (I've never heard SACD and I am really curious, as well as some late night gaming without my gf complaining would be nice).

I do like what I've seen with regards to the Pico Dac, and I see myself going flac-usb 95% of the time, so the Pico seems like a good bet. (I feel like I've made two good bets so far with my hd-650 and 336SE - Thanks Head-Fi
wink_face.gif
)

I am also curious as to how much of an improvement a DAC will provide me in SQ over my 6th Gen ipod (LOD), though I think it will be mostly a matter convenience.

Thanks

May 28, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #34 of 40
Well, in my time with a laptop's headphone out port....the sound was dreadful. I did not intend to get a portable DAC at first, but if the pico is usb powered, then I will take it for sure. Thanks for the input guys, but based on the fact that I may need at least something portable and the pico dac fits that bill without dealing with batteries makes it my final choice. I really appreciate all the input! Thanks again!

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #38 of 40
I have a Compass and her absolutely no hum....very clean sound. I am also thinking on the iBasso D10, which you can be rolled with different opamps

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or a Pico dac/amp
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The standalone DAC gives better flexibility (possible to use two outputs at the same time) and doesn't need a wallwart.

rolleyes.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnybee123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am also curious as to how much of an improvement a DAC will provide me in SQ over my 6th Gen ipod (LOD), though I think it will be mostly a matter convenience.

Thanks

you can't improve your ipod LOD with a DAC, as you can see,

DAC expect a digital bit stream from either optical, USB or coaxial, and in turn, will produce a line out,

NOT receiving analog input from LOD and then converting to? ... analog? so no, it's won't improve ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back