Which DAC to get?
May 22, 2009 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Epicfailman

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I need a DAC since my main PC is going to be a laptop starting in the next few weeks here. Which of the above choices do you think would be best? I can't really go above $300 on the DAC, so if you choose other, please specify a DAC that fits into that price range. Thanks guys!

Edit: I already have a Little Dot I+ and will most likely be using the compass as a preamp unless I decide I like it's sound better. Dunno if that will change our answers on this poll or not.
Edit 2: Please don't check other and not post what DAC you would recommend...if you do it really doesn't help me or anyone else who might reference this thread if they have a similar question.

May 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 40
noodle_dac++

see my flickr site for pic of the kit I just got in the mail yesterday
wink.gif

so far, so good. great price and lotsa options in this dac.

3551886133_f718f7860d.jpg

May 22, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 40
If you are only looking for a DAC, I wouldn't recommend the Compass.
However, if you are looking for a DAC/HeadAmp combo, I would defenitely recommend you the Compass!
It can also work as a PreAmp.

May 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 40
Epicfailman since you are getting a laptop I have to assume that a portable dac is what you are looking for. If so then the iBasso D10 Amp/Dac fits the bill. You can also use the iBasso D10 as an stand alone DAC and fit your other amps or pre-amps.

If a home solution is what you need then the Oritek DAC would be an awesome way to go. Good luck.

May 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 40
Behringer DEQ2496 (if you have optical to use with your comp is very good)

May 26, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 40
Although my main computer is a laptop, it is not for portability but for desk space. I don't game as much as I used to and the game I still play a lot are older and easier to run. So a gaming laptop made sense to me. I would rather avoid portable DACs if at all possible. Thanks for the help so far guys!

May 26, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #13 of 40
Hello Epicfailman.

I'm looking for a DAC/Headphones amplifier too!
My only dilemma about the Compass DAC is the sound that may come from the inside, that hum that is speaking about. Did you heard about that? Is it true?

Look what I found during my search:

Quote:

There actually is a noticeable hum to the power supply of the Compass. However, it's not really annoying and it's doubtful if you would ever notice it while wearing headphones. In fact, I only noticed that it was actually still audible at half a meter distance when I switched off my computer to do the review-listening.

Source: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5452809-post3201.html

I hope somebody will bring us some light because not all of us will use this DAC/Headphones AMP just as AMP.

I will read this thread because it will help me too!

All my best wishes!

May 26, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 40
Thanks for that M&M, I was not aware of that and I will look into it. Cause I might just use the DAC or use it as a main amp or preamp. So that hum could affect me if I use it as DAC only. I am really looking at the Little Dot DAC as a main option cause it looks like it is gonna be great. It is already available, but I can't seem to get any reviews on the thing. Anyone seen a good review on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back