Which current full size reference cans have the most accurate tonality with acoustic instruments?
Mar 5, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 69
The Stax 4070 comes to my mind as "the" one..

stax_4070-400-400.jpg

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #19 of 69
The peakish W5000????? Well, all in the eye of the beholder, if we wait long enough, even the badabooom Proline 900 will get mentioned here
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It all depends. The fidelity of unaccompanied music is more often than not ruined by some doofus in the studio, so you're better off just using a pair of HD650s most of the time that mask recording flaws and stupid noisy cuts. If you don't mind living with recording mistakes, the HD800 are better headphones and my personal choice for reference; anything brighter is NOT natural - I've spent more than 20 hours over the last two weeks in rehearsals as an orchestral musician, anything brighter than HD800 is brighter than BEING IN THE ACTUAL ORCHESTRA, anything with more bass than HD800 HAS MORE BASS THAN SITTING NEXT TO THE BASS SECTION IN THE ORCHESTRA!!! - Add to this that most recordings are equalized a bit or sound too bright from mic placement and you pretty much have to stick with "laid-back" (I'd call them "realistic" but then again some people spend more time than me playing in Orchestra so my opinion is relative) Sennheisers to get the right sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just posted something similar to this in another thread---namely, that most popular phones are too bright and the Senn 650 is realistically balanced for live instruments heard from a reasonable distance. I've no doubt the HD800 is accurate for the balance as heard in the orchestra pit; I feel the 650 is the most accurate as heard from, say, 15 rows back.

Great posts, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

You can really evaluate headphones with classical music that you just can't do with other genres. I have to turn to others for such evaluations.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the HD580/600 sound very real with acoustic guitar FWIW.

I find the HD600 has the ability to make acoustic guitar sound like they're using the cheapest nylon strings that could be found. Even on really good amps. Too dull. Not the right pluck.

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It all depends. The fidelity of unaccompanied music is more often than not ruined by some doofus in the studio, so you're better off just using a pair of HD650s most of the time that mask recording flaws and stupid noisy cuts. If you don't mind living with recording mistakes, the HD800 are better headphones and my personal choice for reference; anything brighter is NOT natural - I've spent more than 20 hours over the last two weeks in rehearsals as an orchestral musician, anything brighter than HD800 is brighter than BEING IN THE ACTUAL ORCHESTRA, anything with more bass than HD800 HAS MORE BASS THAN SITTING NEXT TO THE BASS SECTION IN THE ORCHESTRA!!! - Add to this that most recordings are equalized a bit or sound too bright from mic placement and you pretty much have to stick with "laid-back" (I'd call them "realistic" but then again some people spend more time than me playing in Orchestra so my opinion is relative) Sennheisers to get the right sound.

The HD-800 are already to bright and very aggressive on the highs, tube can help to roll-of the highs but on high end SS amp like the SPL the highs are sharp and ear piercing. I'm not sure if you need this boost on the bass that the HD-800 offer for THE ACTUAL ORCHESTRA.

You can see from the headroom graph both boosts of the 800 on the highs and on the bass over the K-702. In real time the 702 sounds more natural and balanced.

graphCompare.php

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The peakish W5000????? Well, all in the eye of the beholder, if we wait long enough, even the badabooom Proline 900 will get mentioned here
tongue.gif

You do know, kees and a few others feel they get the piano just right, so it's not a stretch.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 69
LOL… so, other than the DT48 and STAX 4070, there isn’t much of a consensus!

An interesting point made in one of the posts was that the distance from the actual orchestra could alter the tonal balance… a HD650 could be accurate 15 rows back and a HD800 could be accurate up front.

Also, some cans, especially the K702 continue to invite polarizing opinions on whether they are tonally accurate.

Shall watch this thread with eagerness in the days ahead!

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st) HD800
2nd) K702
3rd) DT911

I would take this man's word. Have yet to try out the HD800's but I'm sure they will give you the intimacy and tonality that you would need with a violin solo or the wide soundstage for an orchestra.

I can speak for the 702's and I will tell you, you can discern the strings vibrating in your driver and even pick out an out-of-tune instrument in the middle of an orchestra.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #29 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL… so, other than the DT48 and STAX 4070, there isn’t much of a consensus!

An interesting point made in one of the posts was that the distance from the actual orchestra could alter the tonal balance… a HD650 could be accurate 15 rows back and a HD800 could be accurate up front.

Also, some cans, especially the K702 continue to invite polarizing opinions on whether they are tonally accurate.

Shall watch this thread with eagerness in the days ahead!

Well, they are reference studio headphones.. Both relatively unknown with a few users compared to the 701 & other popular headphones.. Everyone has their preference, & everyone has their idea of what correct tonality is..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back