Which Craig deoxIT for cleaning tube pins?
Sep 22, 2008 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everybody,

straight to the point, it's just what the thread title says. The left tube my Little Dot I+ came with act up every now and then, and with the help of David, it's confirmed there's some tube oxidation going on.

So yes, please enlighten on me which deoxIT product I should buy (the cheaper the better
wink.gif
), and what's the best way to apply it.

Many thanks in advance!

Sep 22, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 22
Cleaning Vacuum Tubes

Over time, most tube pins begin to oxidize, and it behooves you to give them a good cleaning at least once a year. This can be accomplished with any number of contact cleaners or with good, clean Isopropyl alcohol (96-99% pure if possible; DON'T use rubbing alcohol - it contains minerals and oils that tubes don't like). We recommend using wooden-handled Q-Tips for the actual application and scrubbing (the paper-handled Q-Tips fall apart under pressure).

Sometimes the easiest way to re-establish good contact for the pins is simply removing the tube and putting it back in! This often cuts through the oxidation and re-makes the contact.

Tube sockets should be cleaned as well. Pipe cleaners work fine for larger-pinned output tube sockets. (Again, not to state the obvious, but please only attempt this while the amp or preamp is turned OFF and UNPLUGGED!).

Tube Care

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 22
I spoke to David (the Little Dot guy) about which DeoxIT product to buy. He recommended this exact one;

412834_Xjpg.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Little Dot)
The DeoxIT GOLD will do very well for tube pins as well as headphone and RCA connectors.

I believe it is best to use Isopropyl alcohol to clean with first, as vcoheda pointed out, then apply the DeoxIT Gold. That's what I gather anyway!

--
djp

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 22
Oct 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 22
For tubes get the deoxit pen or nail polish style liquid. The spray will get all over everything.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 22
I use the spray, but I spray it on cotton swabs or pads instead of the tubes...

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 22
Does anyone know where you can get those little wood sticks with the cotton on them? My Deoxit pack came with a couple of them, but they're pretty much worn down by now.

What else could you use to get into those tiny little tube sockets?

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where you can get those little wood sticks with the cotton on them? My Deoxit pack came with a couple of them, but they're pretty much worn down by now.

What else could you use to get into those tiny little tube sockets?

You can get them directly from Caig off of their website...the sell them in packs of 100 (I think?). I just ordered some Deoxit and Deoxit Gold from the site and noticed those little stick thingies on there too.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get them directly from Caig off of their website...the sell them in packs of 100 (I think?). I just ordered some Deoxit and Deoxit Gold from the site and noticed those little stick thingies on there too.

Sweet! Thanks.

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #14 of 22
Hehehe, I just bought some of this a little bit ago to try to clean the contacts for the buttons on my car-stereo. I only sprayed it on and wiped it clean, though. You're supposed to leave this stuff on overnight? I'm going to have to take the unit back apart, anyway as it didn't help. An article I was reading about working on my specific unit said to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts and specifically that the contact cleaner would not last.
frown.gif

Crazily enough I have used some of the old-school engine-block dip we have at the shop to prep certain solder points I was working on in the past; places I wanted to make darn sure the solder was going to stick... I can't remember what they were, now, but it worked!

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 22
I clean pins with 0000 ("four-odd") steel wool. Then I'll clean up with a quick wipe of mineral spirits or denatured alcohol. Steel wool has a bit of oil in it to keep it from rusting. As someone mentioned, you can reseat the tube a few times to clean the pins and socket.

However, oxidation must really be severe before it causes a problem. I think a lot of the oxidation "problems" are seriously overstated. I've been working on old radios since around 1997 and have seen tubes in a variety of conditions, even those that have been left outside for a couple of years. Most will work even with some scale on them.

Those who obsessively remove and clean pins weekly or monthly might be doing more harm than good. The most important part is the seal between the pins and the glass envelope. Constantly taking tubes out can work that seal loose, thereby destroying the tube. Constant seating and replacement isn't good for the socket, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back