Which Craig deoxIT for cleaning tube pins?
Apr 7, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #16 of 22
Jul 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the cleaning of the contacts, but do any of you clean the glass of your tubes (say, to get any fingerprints off)?

Any cleaning cloth will do.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #20 of 22
i use the two part red cleaner and gold protector combo pack

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #21 of 22
I use alcohol w/ a brass brush followed by a pin straightener.

dscn0708.jpg

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I clean pins with 0000 ("four-odd") steel wool. Then I'll clean up with a quick wipe of mineral spirits or denatured alcohol. Steel wool has a bit of oil in it to keep it from rusting. As someone mentioned, you can reseat the tube a few times to clean the pins and socket.

However, oxidation must really be severe before it causes a problem. I think a lot of the oxidation "problems" are seriously overstated. I've been working on old radios since around 1997 and have seen tubes in a variety of conditions, even those that have been left outside for a couple of years. Most will work even with some scale on them.

Those who obsessively remove and clean pins weekly or monthly might be doing more harm than good. The most important part is the seal between the pins and the glass envelope. Constantly taking tubes out can work that seal loose, thereby destroying the tube. Constant seating and replacement isn't good for the socket, either.

X2 re Uncle Erik's recommendations--you're just asking for trouble tinkering with the pins on tubes and sockets. The contact pressure of the pin in the socket forms a gas-tight seal. A good cleaning, once, to remove the burnt on oxidation/scale (part of the original manufacturing process) using this method is a good idea, especially on older NOS tubes. Then follow it up with a good cleaner to remove the residue and seal the surface. I use DeoxIT (red solution) for normal tube pins, ProGold (yellow solution) for all Au plated pins. (DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL ON AU PLATED PINS!)

Regarding silver contact enhancement products, while the difference--to these ears--was noticeable and meaningful, maintaining a fresh, but conditioned connection was just too onerous. My Manley Stingray integrated has 12 (little) tubes, each with 9 (little) pins. Cleaning and re-applying the silver elixir is extremely time consuming and tedious. Conversely, removing the solution from pins and sockets is much worse than the application itself. And over time, the silver solution has a tendency to harden. It took multiple cleaning chemicals starting with alcohol, and ultimately acetone, to remove. Also, the silver powder solution is of such a fine granular quality, that it is virtually impossible to remove from the tube sockets.

Finally, the wear and possible impact on tube sockets by repetitive application and cleaning, even with the correct tools has the detrimental effect of a possible loose or faulty connection/contact. I decided to stay with Caig Deoxit and Pro-Gold contact enhancement products which have always been a safe and effective way to “clean up the sound.” They can be used on virtually all contacts where electrons bond.

Hope that's helpful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back