Which closed headphones would you recommend?
Jun 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

ajumbaje

New Head-Fier
Any suggestions? I mainly listen to rock, oldies, pop rock, classic rock, etc
Some artists include (just in case that matters)
U2 ,Dire Straits, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Clapton, Bee Gees, AC/DC, Elton John, Genesis, etc

I'm mainly using these on my computer and iPod classic, which I am starting to copy over my stuff in aiff

I'm all over the place with ideas. I'm trying not to go over 300-350 and I don't really want an amp at the moment. So I would prefer headphones that can be easily driven by an ipod classic or macbook pro

Some of my options are the akg 272 hd, the audio technica m50s, and the ultrasone 750.  Any other headphones you want to recommend? I don't want sound bleeding through the phones and I wouldn't mind them being somewhat portable in case I travel with them.  I know the m50s can fold and come with a bag, but are they the best sounding of the bunch?

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 36
You have some great headphones listed there.

The Grados do a sweet job with the genres you've listed, but not everyone likes the sound.  Find a place that allows you to listen to them if possible.  Some things to know about them before you plop any money down:

1. The Grado sound is completely unique
2. On bad recordings and poor masterings, the Grados are pretty relentless, and it can get a bit harsh
3. The Grados are really, REALLY open.  As much sound pours out the back of the cans, so they are not good for public
4. Not everyone finds them comfortable.

If you like them, you will probably LOVE them, but there are no guarantees.

The 770 Pro 80 are famous for one thing: bass.  Again, some people love them for it, but others find them almost unlistenable.  I usually recommend the  DT150/250 in a similar price range, which are easy to drive, have a much more balanced sound, and don't have the sucked out midrange.

The M50 is certainly a popular choice right now as well.  These are the only ones I haven't heard, but 300 head-fiers can't be too far off the mark.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 36
Since you're considering the SR325i, you might also want to check the Alessandro MS2. It's the same basic headphone, but tweaked for a more neutral/less harsh sound. I must say, however, that I have only heard the MS1, so I'm only reporting what I've read on these forums.

Oh, and if you are not in the USA, the Alessandro price includes worldwide shipping.

Here's the website if you are interested: http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 36
I think of all the headphones on your list the Grado SR-225(i) is the best choice. IMHO the 225 is the best Grado in the Prestige line. To me, the 325i(s) is too shrill and piercing. Plus, on the Sales Forum they can be found for around $150.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 36

Quote:

3. The Grados are really, REALLY open.  As much sound pours out the back of the cans, so they are not good for public

The M50 is certainly a popular choice right now as well.  These are the only ones I haven't heard, but 300 head-fiers can't be too far off the mark.

Are the only Grados that are closed a lot more expensive?  I would like sound isolation so I can play music without someone near me saying "Hey! Nice song!" Also, I was only able to try on the 80 and the 125 on today. Is the difference in padding between those two and the 225 a lot different?  I have somewhat big ears that jut out more than normal (not dumbo 
tongue_smile.gif
)

One of the guys at the Guitar Center in Richmond told me he was going from the beyerdynamics to the audio technicas I listed.

I like the beyerdynamic design with the material that goes around the pads.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 36
Grado only makes open dynamic headphones and two IEMs.

As you move up the line with Grado you get significant improvements in extension, refinement, soundstage and imaging. Again, I believe the SR-225(i) to offer the best performance of the Prestige line.

The different pads also have a large effect on the sound. It comes down to personal preference with the pads.

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 36

Quote:
Grado only makes open dynamic headphones and two IEMs.

As you move up the line with Grado you get significant improvements in extension, refinement, soundstage and imaging. Again, I believe the SR-225(i) to offer the best performance of the Prestige line.

The different pads also have a large effect on the sound. It comes down to personal preference with the pads

K. I wish there was somewhere in Washington DC that sells Grados because Im going up there next week. The place I went to in Richmond only had the 80 and the 125. 

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 36
i'll go with the 325i which is really bright open and very unique while i'd go for beyer for comfortability and everything else , as for the m50 i heard some good things about being closed and equipped with bass and probably the cheapest.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 36
Of all the choices you have listed I would recommend the sr-225i's. They seem to be the sweet spot of the prestige line-up. The 325's seem to be a love or hate thing. Grados are very impressive cans assuming they don't bother your head. 

As it has been said previously the m50's seem to be a good choice as well. I just have no experience w/ them.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 36
I would go for the ATs, as after my long and expensive search, felt like they simply made me want to listen to my music.  Though I went through a phase of being a Grado only person, and could see myself returning some day to them.  Until then, ATs all they way!

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 36
the 325i is more neutral than the 225i, so you wont enjoy it for rock as much

the m50 and the 225i are suited for rock, the MS1 even more so

the problem with the 225i is everything else SUCKS on it except rock and is immensely uncomfortable.  It doesnt have a sound stage, and bass is heavily lacking just like all grado, but the clarity and quality of the audio is sublime.  The m50 has a lesser audio quality and clarity, but it does everything better.  The stage is actually present, good bass, good mids, suited for a variety of genres.  

I would recommend the ultrasone pro 750 over any of those listed any day of the week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back