Which closed headphones should I opt for in the $300~ range?
Oct 1, 2013 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kowaqt

New Head-Fier
Hi friends!

I'm looking for a great pair of closed headphones, since I am sharing my living room with other people. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 598, but since they are completely open, it gets annoying in the long run in these circumstances. 

I've had a look at the http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide - but I'm still puzzled. Since the Sennheiser HD 598 is quite low on the bass, I would like to try something new. I listen to a lot of different genres, mostly rock though. Namedropping just a few: Alter Bridge, D-A-D, Death Cab for Cutie, Radiohead, Ellie Goulding etc! 

Sony MDR-XB1000 caught my eyes since I could get them fairly cheap, but then I read reviews claiming that they were mostly suited for electronic (which I do listen to though) and hip hip (which I rarely listen to). 

Anyways, I'm looking for high comfortability (since I'll be wearing them for extended sessions, lets say 10 hours+), slightly bass heavy (mostly for rock) and of course a great soundstage. 

I do not currently have an amp, so I prefer if it's not requirement. But I might be open to buy one as well, since I can use it for my HD 598 as well. 

That's all.

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 6
MrSpeakers Mad Dog - Powerful bass, Clean mid range and decent treble. Very fun listen but also very detailed and versatile. They are a legue above the HD598 so you will end up using them more I think. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 6
The XB1000s have a great emphasis on sub-bass, can be EQed to XB500 mid-bass levels, have a huge soundstage, and are semi-open.  There are large air ports on both the top and the bottom of the drivers, and as a result they leak more than the XB500/700s.

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 6
It's cheaper to buy from Mrspeakers for $300, You won't be disappointed!  

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 6
If I order them through that website, I'm pretty sure I have to pay customs duty, which can potentially increase the cost quite substantially. I would prefer ones that are easier to come by in EU, even though they definitely seem like a nice pair of headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back