which closed headphone?
Dec 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

superfritzy

New Head-Fier
So I need some help choosing headphones.  I have read alot on this forum and I am stuck between a pair of Audio Technica ath-m50 and Monster Beats Studio.  Right now, you are probably going to say not the beats, but I can get them for $80 from a friend, perfectly good and everything.  I mainly listen to pop, like foster the people and whatevers in the top 10 of itunes and that kind of music.  I mainly want noise isolation or even better noise cancelling, comfort, and sound quality and a little bit of style.  I am kind of tight on money, so I want to spend as little as possible.  So the beats are the cheapest at $80 then the m50s at $110.  Thank you for reading this and please reply with whatever info you know.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 14
I also would like a cable that can be taken out, I cant remember the name of what its called right now.  I could make my own recable thing and put in my own little socket in the m50s for the replacable cable but i dont know how to, if someone might want to put a url to a tutorial or something.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 14
The reason why your friend is getting rid of them is probably the same why nobody recommend them. 

First: they only work with batteries. if you are willing to charge batteries all the time or carry an extra battery go ahead.
Second: you don't need noise cancelling, worthless for regular use. 
Third: Most of them are counterfeits (I don't know how to use counterfeit as a verb) I am not implying anything about your friend, but even if you care only about style, people will ask themselves if those are fake or not.
Forth: What those headphones say about you is that you don't care about music, only how you look.
Fifth: Even at 80$ there are better headphones in the market. 
Sixth: Noise isolation? Nothing better than IEMs to block outside noise.
Seventh: Sound quality wise... Probably you don't care so why bother.

I can go on, but I have a feeling that you are going to buy them anyway.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
So I need some help choosing headphones.  I have read alot on this forum and I am stuck between a pair of Audio Technica ath-m50 and Monster Beats Studio.  Right now, you are probably going to say not the beats, but I can get them for $80 from a friend, perfectly good and everything.  I mainly listen to pop, like foster the people and whatevers in the top 10 of itunes and that kind of music.  I mainly want noise isolation or even better noise cancelling, comfort, and sound quality and a little bit of style.  I am kind of tight on money, so I want to spend as little as possible.  So the beats are the cheapest at $80 then the m50s at $110.  Thank you for reading this and please reply with whatever info you know.

Does he also sell rolex watches? Juuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding.

Audio technica M50s will beat the beats regardless of price. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 14
since you arent allowed to talk about fake headphones,  I know there fake from dhgate.  I wanted to know a more unbiased opinion from comparing fakes to reals.  Is there a video or something about recabling m50s with instructions and pictures?  I only find ones with words and I get confused with what theyre talking about.  I also am going to buy the m50s just to let you know.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 14
I need to ask a question: how old are you? 
You just give more reasons to avoid them. They will end in your closet in no time. Fakes aren't comfortable, or good sound quality or worth your money by any means.

Recabling? Do you know about soldering first of all? Forget about it.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 14
I am 13 turning 14 on January 6.  My dads job is fixing coffee, juice, and expresso machines which involves soldering wires to elements and all the circuits.  He's been doing it for over 10 years so I'm pretty sure he can help me recable headphones.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

1. Noise cancelling and noise isolation are not the same thing. The former is generally detrimental to sound quality. It is not "even better."
2. If they are fake Beats, they are likely the same fakes that people judge to be worth around $10. The $80 price from your friend is a ripoff.
3. If they're fake, then the noise cancelling probably is also fake.
4. Cut and dry, no BS, even real Beats Studio aren't worth $80.
5. The M50 are a good choice, so are other budget phones like the Creative Aurvana Live! or the Koss ProDJ 100

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
since you arent allowed to talk about fake headphones,  I know there fake from dhgate.  I wanted to know a more unbiased opinion from comparing fakes to reals.  Is there a video or something about recabling m50s with instructions and pictures?  I only find ones with words and I get confused with what theyre talking about.  I also am going to buy the m50s just to let you know.

Why do you want to re-cable your first pair of decent brand new headphones?

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 14
well they make M50s with removable cables:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50-R-SPECIAL  
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50s-LE-R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back