Which can is the most rarest, while being great?
Oct 1, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #16 of 33
Realistic Optimus Pro 25, originaly priced at $40 in '87 or thereabouts.

I read about this lightweight 40mm re-branded Koss headphone in Stereophile magazine, getting an excellent review, and deservedly so. These were the only portable phones I used up until a month or so ago when I got some marshmallows. Got a 2nd pair, dated 1994, as a backup, but haven't had to use them yet. The one downside to it is the volume slider, as it has to be taken apart and cleaned every now and then.

Oct 1, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 33
Audio Technica ATH-W11JPN

AKG K1000 (not sure how rare it was, but it's out of production)

That high-impedance Sennheiser that Head-fi gave away a prototype of to the winner of a photo contest a while back.

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K1000 (not sure how rare it was, but it's out of production)

K1000 = around 11000 units. Not rare at all imo...

The MB Quart PMB 1000 is quite rare though. Never seen anyone around Head-Fi!
popcorn.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 33
Philodox - I think the DT48 is still in production. Last I checked, the DT48E was selling at B&H with an e-mail price of $306. Though they are rare around here and offer top notch performance.

And while it is not a great headphone, the Stax Aperio Alpha is tough to come by and still sounds pretty good. It was Stax's attempt at a dynamic headphone. I got a pair some time back and squirreled them away. I will bring them to the LA meet in a couple of weeks and CanJam 2009.

Oct 1, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MB Quart PMB 1000 is quite rare though. Never seen anyone around Head-Fi!
popcorn.gif

most Peerless PMBs are rare: never seen a 1000, only one 500, four 100s, one silverline and one 85DA
ph34r.gif

there are also too many rare (and great) orthos and electrostats to mention.

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #22 of 33
The 48 A.00. They are made to order. Can take up to 6 month to make, and each transducer is carefully hand selected and comes with their own FR chart, since each will very a bit from headphone to headphone. To me, that makes then very rare. So rare, most headphone zealots have no clue what they are. So far I only know of 3 owners at headfi, and they have the E models, not the A models. The E models can be purchased at BH Photo for 311.00. The A's retail for 447.00. I can honestly say thats a bargain, with a midrange, neutralality and detail that can hang with headphones costing 3-6 times as much.. And maybe the best for accustics.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #23 of 33
The AKG K145 is a rare item too. It is a lesser version of the K340 (IMO) but sounds more intimate than its big sister.

Edit: I am currently waiting for an AKG K20 to arrive. No comment on sound as I have not heard it (though if its looks has any relation to sound, it probably is not that great), but rare it certainly is.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, no mention of the r10 yet.

AFAIK, there are more than 1000 R10 units produced.

Not rare compared to some other great performers methinks

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #25 of 33
Some of the suggestions in this thread are quite suspect. How a headphone that is still in production can be labeled as "rarest" is beyond me?

To actually meet the criteria of the OP, the Qualia 010 and Grado PS-1. End of story.

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #28 of 33
I've owned or passed on numerous opportunities to own most of the headphones mentioned in this thread with one exception, the Stax Omega 1. They just don't come up that often. I guess one could say the L3000G is just as rare or rarer, but buying that sound is rather easy.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Philodox - I think the DT48 is still in production. Last I checked, the DT48E was selling at B&H with an e-mail price of $306. Though they are rare around here and offer top notch performance.

Really? That's the best news I've heard all day. Been reading about these headphones a bit lately and they intrigue me. Is the DT48E the preffered version?

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #30 of 33
I just do some googles
here in Germany
BEYERDYNAMIC DT-48 E / 200 OHM costs 259 €
BEYERDYNAMIC DT-48 E / 25 OHM costs 279€
the prise is around 210 brit pound

here is the links to the shop in UK
Search Results - Page 1 - U.K. International Cyberstore

for the BEYERDYNAMIC DT 48 A.00 I donn't think you have to wait for a long time if you want to order them. Here in germany they cost EUR 295,00
and I've seen it costs $389.00 by this
Beyerdynamic DT 48 A.00 Closed Dynamic Headphones
But actually as i said I just did google.So I am too not sure if these shops can send us the headphones in a short time after ordering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back