Which available Grado model is most like HF-1?
Aug 22, 2006 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tomjonesrocks

100+ Head-Fier
Are these cans based on or closely related to a model that's currently available? Or perhaps to an Allesandro?

I got a chance to hear HF-1s at a meet and really liked them. Thought they were really fatiguing, but still *loved* the sound. Of all the cans there that I got to hear (though have never heard an RS-1) I think the HF-1s impressed *me* the most.

Thanks.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks
I got a chance to hear HF-1s at a meet and really liked them. Thought they were really fatiguing, but still *loved* the sound. Of all the cans there that I got to hear (though have never heard an RS-1) I think the HF-1s impressed *me* the most.

225s

Otherwise go with RS-2s ro RS-1s

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 17
They're supposed to be pretty close to the SR225's. Though I havent heard an HF-1 first hand.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 17
I had read that the HF-1's were voiced to be used exclusively with bowls, that you loose too much going to the flats, not on my ears. On my ears the bowls fit circumauraly and it messes with the sound so much that they just sound almost like complete crap. Put on the flats, and ah yes, now we're talking. Yeah, the sound is colored towards the darker, but that's not always a bad thing.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 17
IMHO you haven't really heard a wood Grado till' you hear it through warm tubes, an open / detailed source and with bowl pads to pull out the clarity, detail and soundstage.

I wouldn't want to listen to a Grado (even the warm HF1) on a buffered solid state amp either.... too shouty and aggressive.

RS2 gets my vote as the most HF1-like... although the HF1 is still a darker sounding phone IMHO.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 17
RS2, BY FAR. The RS2 features vastly better build quality, slightly better detail, and is almost a dead ringer for the sonic signature of the HF1 (though I agree with kramer the HF1 is a tad darker). At the prices the HF1 now fetches, the RS2 is actually the better value, which is ironic since the HF1 served very well as a poor man's RS2 upon its introduction. I've owned RS1, RS2, HF1, SR225, HP2; borrowed SR325, SR200; auditioned SR325i.

It's ridiculous, I was a contributor to the initial hype of the HF1 when I truly believed it was an awesome sounding headphone for $200 NEW. For $320+ USED there is hardly any reason to not choose the RS2 instead, if only for the build quality. The excitement got out of hand and the market has just gone crazy. I swear, the HF1 has become like the Bose of high end headphones - I don't mean that as a knock on the sound quality, but how the price has been greatly inflated via hype, combined with the poor build quality
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
The HF1's are like none of the current models. That is why they are so sought after.

- augustwest

x2

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
I swear, the HF1 has become like the Bose of high end headphones - I don't mean that as a knock on the sound quality, but how the price has been greatly inflated via hype, combined with the poor build quality
tongue.gif

I haven't read anyone else expressing such views before -- but I've written a couple times it seems based on the prices people ask for just about everything over there in that sell forum, you might as well buy new. It may be an inflammatory and/or politically incorrect thing to write, but at least 3/4 of what's over there sells within $20-$30 of new-retail prices (and sometimes they even ask MORE than discount stores)--so I just don't get that forum I guess.

It's nice for sellers though--and to buy discontinued items you can't buy new I guess (for over-retail prices when available of course). But people often say it's a "good deal" to buy used here and I wonder what they're talking about. It's nice items don't seem to depreciate--but I still don't understand how these used offerings can be considered "good deals".

I guess you save that $20 and you don't have to burn in whatever it is you're buying though...

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 17
I really, really liked the HF-1s when I got a chance ot hear them, but for the price they fetch now, I'd rather have the RS-1. HF-1 is definitely a very dark headphone, something not as present in the other Grado woodies. Pound for pound, I'm glad I kept my SR225 instead of jumping on HF-1s at any chance. I like them oh-so slightly more, and they're more fun.

Besides, I already get told I'm crazy for wearing the 225s as my portable can... imagine if I wore the coveted, limited and even more fragile Head-Fi specials outdoors!

Now I'm waiting for the HF-2. You know, the "plastickied" GS-1000s?
blink.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Now I'm waiting for the HF-2. You know, the "plastickied" GS-1000s?
blink.gif

Unfortunately, there will never be another HF due to the number of people who used the HF-1 for their own monetary gain.

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
Unfortunately, there will never be another HF due to the number of people who used the HF-1 for their own monetary gain.

Really? If that's true, that royally sucks. All it takes is a few greedy people I guess..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back