Which available Grado model is most like HF-1?
Aug 30, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkJC
Really? If that's true, that royally sucks. All it takes is a few greedy people I guess..

Not again.
Lets stop this before it starts...nobody who sold their HF-1's for financial gain was "greedy". Thats just a silly comment.
People buy things and later sell them (for whatever reason) at the current market asking price.
You know, kinda like the Stock Market, Commodity Market and every other market for that matter?
Its called Capatalism, and its one of the main reasons why you live in North America.

As for the OP's question, I will as always, agree with Kramer-nothing sounds quite like the HF-1.
IMO, the HF-1 is a cross between the 225 and the rs-2. If you can afford it, go for the latter, stick with the bowls to maintain the minimal soundstage and get a good amp.

Aug 30, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
RS2, BY FAR. The RS2 features vastly better build quality, slightly better detail, and is almost a dead ringer for the sonic signature of the HF1 (though I agree with kramer the HF1 is a tad darker). At the prices the HF1 now fetches, the RS2 is actually the better value, which is ironic since the HF1 served very well as a poor man's RS2 upon its introduction.

99% Agreed. IMHO the RS-2 has a clearly better detail retrieval than the HF-1 when source and amp are up to the task.

It really is quite funny how second hand prices are close to retail prices at the FS thread. I believe it happens because of the price differences between the different continents. Grados for example are dirt cheap in the States compared to Europe. And viceversa for Sennheiser. And it is cheaper for a european to buy second hand Audio-Technicas in Europe for nearly the retail value, than to order new ones from Japan and paying a lot for shipping and duties.
And the rest of the sellers just take advantage of these situations, I guess. But as long as it works the same way for all of us, it's quite ok actually. That way you get to sample lots of gear without losing lots of money when changing to something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back