Which are considered the best headphones for Classical music around here lately?
Oct 20, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 40
Top of the crop

Sennheiser HD 800, Beyer Dynamic T1, Grado GS1000i/PS1000, Audio Technica W1000X,
AKG K701

Then there is the fabled STAX ~ Omega 2 and SR-009, never heard them but I'd imagine
their lightning speed, excellent separation and expansive sound stage would make them
just about ideal.

Some might jump in and say ~ What about the LCD-2?

It's got it all - bar the prerequisite expansive sound stage in my opinion.

LCD-3 may prove to be a little more conducive to the genre.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 40
Well, just to be argumentative, I find nothing unexpansive about the LCD-2 soundstage. And in terms of classical, most recordings are made in the studio, so one would have to ask, how expansive are most studios? Could it be that phones like the HD800 actually add a false expansiveness by means of a treble peak?

Surely not!

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 40

Quote:
Well, just to be argumentative, I find nothing unexpansive about the LCD-2 soundstage. And in terms of classical, most recordings are made in the studio, so one would have to ask, how expansive are most studios? Could it be that phones like the HD800 actually add a false expansiveness by means of a treble peak?

Surely not!

True, the HD 800 occasionally adds width and height that doesn't exist on the recording

It works on some recordings and it sounds positively strange on others.

Fair enough, the LCD-2 is a decent contender

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 40

Quote:
Well, just to be argumentative, ! find noting unexpansive about the LCD-2 soundstage. And in terms of classical, most recordings are made in the studio, so one would have to ask, how expansive are most studios? Could it be that phones like the HD800 actually add a false expansiveness by means of a treble peak?

Surely not!

The HD-800 add some coloration to the sound as specially with some SS amps, better to go with tubes. But then they will be not so balanced for classic music...in other words why to complicate things, go with the K-702 that sounds more balanced with out the unnecessary extension in treble and the sub bass.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 40
AKG K701/702 through a tube amp (with output transformer). Tight accurate bass - huge soundstage (mimics a concert hall), so much detail you could cry.  

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 40

Quote:

True, the HD 800 occasionally adds width and height that doesn't exist on the recording

It works on some recordings and it sounds positively strange on others.

Fair enough, the LCD-2 is not decent contender 

Fixed :)

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 40
While I *love* my Senn HD650's, my recently sold Grado SR325's were excellent for classical. Extremely detailed and clear, and "live" sounding. Classical guitar in particular (Chris Parkening and Daivd Russell) was like sitting in front of them. Very nice. For long periods of time, especially for jazz, I like the Senn's better, but classical was great on the Grado's.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 40
Classical, as used by most people, is a pretty big menagerie, so it's hard to generalize. It also depends upon what you value and are looking for in the music - I find this more so with classical than with modern music.

Sol Gabetta's Vivaldi cello sounds fantastic on a T1-WA2 combo. But I find Gardiner's Beethoven symphonies are often more interesting on a DT-1350 because I perceive more separation and detail. Strangely I find myself enjoying Gould's Goldberg stuff more with the T1's, where I thought it would be the reverse. The T1's take a tiny bit of the edge off and make it easier to listen to for extended periods.

You should decide what you want from the music first and then go looking for it. In my opinion there is no best.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 40

Quote:
While I *love* my Senn HD650's, my recently sold Grado SR325's were excellent for classical. Extremely detailed and clear, and "live" sounding. Classical guitar in particular (Chris Parkening and Daivd Russell) was like sitting in front of them. Very nice. For long periods of time, especially for jazz, I like the Senn's better, but classical was great on the Grado's.

Re: 325's

So true, such a shame that they fall short on soundstage width and height ~ the detail, depth and separation are top notch, the up front presentation
giving a front row impression which I don't mind at all.

Still as per my first post, big sound stage has to be part of the equation in a top tier classical headphone surely.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 40

Quote:
AKG K701/702 through a tube amp (with output transformer). Tight accurate bass - huge soundstage (mimics a concert hall), so much detail you could cry.  

Not necessarily. There are SS amps wich have a nice synergy with the AKG line and provide an amazing soudstage. 

@Gwarmi, im with you. Soundstage is very important. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 40
K501 is what I'd use. Is there anything out there that has a soundstage larger than the K501? It's definitely not the HD-598, DT-990 or HD-600/650. Maybe the HD-800? This would be interesting to know.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 40

Quote:
K501 is what I'd use. Is there anything out there that has a soundstage larger than the K501? It's definitely not the HD-598, DT-990 or HD-600/650. Maybe the HD-800? This would be interesting to know.

Knew one escaped my thoughts at the time, if only one of these revered classic AKG's ever popped up in Australia
from time to time, they're like 4 leaf clovers out here.

I'm wrangling with this issue at the moment, the K601 is nice but still a bit forward, I've been debating over the GS1000 and K501
for some time now.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 40

Quote:

Not necessarily. There are SS amps wich have a nice synergy with the AKG line and provide an amazing soudstage. 

Aye - the Burson 160 comes to mind. I'm just thinking of a tube's ability to warm up the 702's a bit. Either way - this would be a very strong option - especially if the OP is on a budget (compared with the Senn 800/Audeze suggestions).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back