Which amp will give you the most punch and detail base response?
Apr 14, 2009 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hakjk

100+ Head-Fier
I’m looking for my next amp.
I’m considering DIY amps since I never tried one and people are always talking about how good they are compare to commercial ones, but other suggestions are also welcome. I’ll mostly use with my grado and ultrasone, and will use 0404 usb as a source.
I’m mainly looking for one will give me the most punch and detail base. I love fast and punch attacks of drum.
Is solid state amp is generally better in this department?

Following is the list of my consideration:
M^3
CK2III
Millet Max
Soha with Jisbos
PPAV2
LittleDot V (Pete and Jim told me that they like this over M^3 so including in the list)

If anything else which I should consider, please advise me.

Thanks for all you help in advance.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 16
Yes, solid state has better lows, generally speaking. What you want is a fair bit of power with a low output impedance. The lower the output impedance is compared to the headphones' impedance, the higher the damping factor. The higher the damping factor, the better control the amp has over the drivers. So if you have a high damping factor and plenty of power, the better the lows will be. OTL tube amps tend to have a higher output impedance, so the damping factor isn't as high unless the headphones have high impedance, too. Transformer coupled tube amps can have a lower output impedance, but there are other tradeoffs to using iron on the output.

Another factor that helps with low end grunt is if you bridge the amp or use an active ground plane. A three channel Beta22 and the M^3 have active grounds; those are the ones I'd pick off your list. You might want to consider building a Dynamid or DynaMight -boards and chips are available at Dan. A bridged CK2III might be worthwhile, too.

Finally, roll your own. DIY designs are excellent and have been vetted by many eyeballs without proprietary shrieks and the bleating of fanboys who love a builder and know nothing of what goes on inside the box.

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for your help guys..
Problem here is I'm not able to build one for myself since I do not have any equipment and experience. I know people are selling their DIY amps in F/S section, so what is the best amp for me from already built and not extreamly hard to find?

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 16
Yeah, you should really look into the Beta 22.
Great bass response, details, and pretty much anything else.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, you should really look into the Beta 22.
Great bass response, details, and pretty much anything else.
biggrin.gif

Will beta22 cost close to $1000 or even more? That is bit much..

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hakjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will beta22 cost close to $1000 or even more? That is bit much..

More like $1800 and up, unless you build one yourself.

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 16
I have a little experience with the M^3 and lots of experience with more expensive SS amps, for example, the Headamp GS-1. I definitely prefer the hybrid amps .... especially the Millet MOSFET Max or SOHA/ JISBOS.

The Millet MOSFET with my Alessandros has a rich, powerful sound that is very dynamic with loads of bass impact. The SOHA/ JISBOS is slightly less powerful sounding vs the Max. But the SOHA/ JISBOS has a smooth, refined, dynamic and very musical presentation that is equally engaging. I can listen to either of these two amps with low impedance headphones for extended periods and be completely satisfied .... despite regularly using several high end Singlepower tube amps. Moreover, if you ever decided to use high impedance headphones these hybrids are fully up to the task. My Senn 600s sound excellent with either of these two hybrid amps.

I paid around $265 shipped for my last MOSFET Max and $250 shipped for my SOHA/ JISBOS. I cant think of a better buy than the DIY hybrid amps.

IMG_0517.jpg

13122008269dd9.jpg

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 16
The B22 is the nastiest, meanest solid state amp ever, but my M3 with a silver/gold mundorf wired cable on HD650s has really, really tasty bass. It has way more bass than my K702s or my DT770 2005s, and the good kind.

All of those amps you listed are extremely well regarded, though. I just know for sure that I really enjoy the bass on my M3, it has such pretty texture and depth.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 16
Thanks to all..
I think beta22 is out of my budget for now...may be later..
It seems like m3 and millet mosfet max is my best bet..right?
What is the difference between millet max and millet mosfet max?

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Thanks to all..

You can sometimes find a 3-channel Beta22 in the $800 range, even lower for 2-channel.

I liked my PPAv2 more than either Mosfet MAX or M^3, but that's just me. I do really like the M^3, just the PPAv2 a little more and it's quite headphone-dependent.

The CKK-III is likely the best bang/buck amp there though they all offer great value at their designated price points.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Thanks to all..

The MOSFET Max uses MOSFETs.
icon10.gif

I think the MOSFET version has a weightier bass and an overall fuller, richer, more powerful sound. The BJT type Millets are leaner and cleaner sounding and excellent as well. Both versions have lots of speed and dynamic punch. Personally, I just like the MOSFET version better. You will probably have a much easier time finding a Millet Mini-Max vs a MOSFET Max.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can sometimes find a 3-channel Beta22 in the $800 range, even lower for 2-channel.

I liked my PPAv2 more than either Mosfet MAX or M^3, but that's just me. I do really like the M^3, just the PPAv2 a little more and it's quite headphone-dependent.

The CKK-III is likely the best bang/buck amp there though they all offer great value at their designated price points.

I know they are all great amp.
Following is my original question:
"I’m mainly looking for one will give me the most punch and detail base. I love fast and punch attacks of drum."
Which one does best job in this department?

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 16
These are all great DIY amps and you shouldn't go wrong with either of them.

But since you seem to be a bass head, I think you best bet is the M^3 built with the optional bass boost control. It may not be the preferred feature for the hardcore high-end audio purist but you will have a little control on some anemic bass recordings/headphones...

What are your headphones? The M^3 should be fine with most headphones however if you have grados I think you will get better synergy with hybrids/tubes like the Millet Max or even the SOHA II (with the right tubes and custom parts...
wink.gif
)

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 16
If you're looking for fastest attack of bass, I'd say the SOHA2 tops that list, it's a speed demon in terms of response. A Millet will likely have the "strongest" (most pronounced) bass of those amps. I would put the PPAv2 and CKK-III next in terms of fast and punchy bass.

I would not "rate" those amps in that order in terms of overall sound, but if you are ONLY basing it on fast and punchy bass, then it's SOHA2, PPAv2, CKK-III.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back