Which AMP is the best for K701?
Sep 6, 2007 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Aptom

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for an AMP for K701, can you guys recommend some to me? And where can I buy it? Thanks.
orphsmile.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 18
What's your budget? Tube/Solid State? Portable or Home? Etc...

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 18
RSA B-52 might be the "Best"!
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 18
I have not tried many amps to recommend the BEST.. but I can tell you what I think has been a good amp for my K701..

I'd always thought the K701 was very, very good with handling my K701, so good in fact that I'd have sex with it.. but now that I have listened to my K701 plugged into a Blackgate-studded X-Can V3 with a custom PSU, I would cheat on the Aria with the X-Can!

I think the X-Can has loads more impact and just enough warmth to have me hooked on the music, not the equipment.. It's got that SS speed also, which makes listening to rock just as fun.. The Aria is still a good amp, but I find that the X-Can is much more fun to listen to..

The downside is that the X-Can has less width and quality in its soundstage..

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RSA B-52 might be the "Best"!
tongue.gif

Yep -- good one! A rich, fast, powerful amp that seems to blow the socks off every set of phones I've heard with it, including the Grado PS-1 which I had a distaste for before hearing it through the B52 (with Ray's mil-spec cable, of course).

I've also found the RKV MkII with OPA627 upgrade (not without) + Eddie Current EC/DC for impedance matching (tighter sound all around) presents the 701 with deep well-articulated bass, warm/rich mids, the usual width with great depth, very dimensional/rock solid layered imaging, sweet highs with great/subtle inner detail, gorgeous voices, excellent timbral representation, great PRAT, etc.

Sadly, the B52 is waaayyyyy over the $300 budget, and even the RKV MkII OPA627, even pre-owned.

Sorry. A couple of "bests" but out of budget.

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 18
I'm interested in this topic myself. Will the Corda Headfive do the k701 some justice? Will it be as good a match as the RSA hornet for example? I really like the crossfeed so I will only get rid of my headfive if I have to. The next meier up in sound quality is at least double the price of the headfive

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly, the B52 is waaayyyyy over the $300 budget, and even the RKV MkII OPA627, even pre-owned.

Ooops! I missed his $300 budget, which he posted longer down this thread.
Guess a B-52 is totally out of the question then.
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 18
I had the V3 on loan and spent much time a/b it with my Heed. Please demo the V3 before you take the plunge. It was not on par with the Heed for the 701s. (for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back