Which Amp/DAC should I use for my new Denon AH-D7100? Any advice appreciated! Thanks
Jan 5, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 39
Dude, in which country do the D600s have an internal amp and the D7100s are 16 oHms?

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:
Dude, in which country do the D600s have an internal amp and the D7100s are 16 oHms?

Haha, it's actually only 25 Ohm impediance for D7100, pretty low for a headphone in that calibre, so it's easy to drive。 After further research, I've decided to put in more money into this, I mostly listen to music on the go, so I was thinking of investing in may be Fostex hp-p1? Are there any other better alternatives? It seems there aren't many portable DAC/Amp for idevices without the having the need for AC/USB power. Am I right to assume the DAC to be more important than Amp in my case? As it's of low impedance.

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #20 of 39
Low impedance cans takes more current to work efficiently, but they get loud very easily as well, so yes if you don't have a good DAC yet then it is more important for now. Something like an E17 should work well with the D7100.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #21 of 39
From personal experience i find that even more important than a DAC/AMP make sure your music is encoded at a higher bit rate than 256. The Denon AH-D7100 will bring forward every flaw if your music is not upto standard. I have a Audiolad M-Dac and a Corda Jazz and they sound awesome. But if the music is not high bit rate the sound that comes out is awful bass is all over the place. I find that with low bit rate recordings the bass will be the first thing you will find out of place.   

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:
From personal experience i find that even more important than a DAC/AMP make sure your music is encoded at a higher bit rate than 256. The Denon AH-D7100 will bring forward every flaw if your music is not upto standard. I have a Audiolad M-Dac and a Corda Jazz and they sound awesome. But if the music is not high bit rate the sound that comes out is awful bass is all over the place. I find that with low bit rate recordings the bass will be the first thing you will find out of place.   

How are you able to get higher than 256? That's as high as iTunes goes. Are you downloading from other sources or are you buying CD's and ripping them? 

Side note: Can anyone school me on Pandora? I think I read somewhere that has pretty good quality and high bit rate? 

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #23 of 39
I am using the Spotify Premium service that provides 320kbps and also buying CD's and ripping them into Flac. Played through my Mac via Fidelia. Plus researching into HD Tracks. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:
I am using the Spotify Premium service that provides 320kbps and also buying CD's and ripping them into Flac. Played through my Mac via Fidelia. Plus researching into HD Tracks. 

I've been looking into one of these services myself. MOG is another one that has high bit downloads. It seems like on that one you have to pick Artists that you like and they'll make suggestions based on that. I think I'd prefer something like Satellite Radio... Not sure if they even offer that on a computer though. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #25 of 39
I have used the Denon AH-D7100 with Audiolab M-Dac and Meier Corda Jazz it sounds really good with good bass. But my favourite combo is the D7100 with my iPad Mini. It amazes me how good the sound it with that combo. In other words these headphones are easy to drive and very versatile. Enjoy your new headphones.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #26 of 39
Bareyb Yes, XM Sirius satellite radio is available online. I don't know the bitrate but it sounds pretty good for my untrained ears from an iPad through cck with a Fiio E7 and Sennheiser HD 558s. Clearly an entry level system and not what the people on this thread are talking about. Pandora is available for free but you need to pay if you want higher quality and no ads. You might try the free service out and see what you think.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #27 of 39
How are you able to get higher than 256? That's as high as iTunes goes. Are you downloading from other sources or are you buying CD's and ripping them? 

Side note: Can anyone school me on Pandora? I think I read somewhere that has pretty good quality and high bit rate? 

I always rip my CDs in WAV format (windows media), it gives me a bit rate of 1411K.

The standard Pandora bitrate is 128K, Pandora Premium will get a bitrate of 192K and no ads.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:
I always rip my CDs in WAV format (windows media), it gives me a bit rate of 1411K.

The standard Pandora bitrate is 128K, Pandora Premium will get a bitrate of 192K and no ads

Well that doesn't sound too good....MOG has 320 kbps. I think Spotify may be better as well. 

Best Audio Quality

From earbuds to studio monitors, music sounds better on MOG. Enjoy the best audio quality of any music service, streaming at 320 kbps.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:
Bareyb Yes, XM Sirius satellite radio is available online. I don't know the bitrate but it sounds pretty good for my untrained ears from an iPad through cck with a Fiio E7 and Sennheiser HD 558s. Clearly an entry level system and not what the people on this thread are talking about. Pandora is available for free but you need to pay if you want higher quality and no ads. You might try the free service out and see what you think.

Oh cool! I'll have to look into that further. Thanks. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #30 of 39
Don't kill me for saying this one....but I can notice more of a sound difference between cables (which doesn't say much) than I can between 192 and 320 bitrate files.

I know some people claim there's a huge discernable difference, I just don't hear it.  Have plenty of music in FLAC / 320 / whatever, 192 sounds good enough to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back