Which Amp/DAC should I use for my new Denon AH-D7100? Any advice appreciated! Thanks
Jan 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Icysoft

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am about to receive my Denon AH-D7100 in a few days time and after reading some of the threads on here, I have learned so much about the audiophile world and am thankful for all your input!

It would be great if you guys could recommend me some amplifiers to buy for portable use with ipod and iphone. Some people have recommended me using Fiio E17 or E10 or E7, which could be used both with my laptop and on the go. My budget does not allow me to spend hundreds of pounds on home entertainment systems as I'm still living at University accommodation. What are your opinions on this? What would be the best combination to use for my headphone? Thanks very much for your input.

I should mention that I'm new to the audiophile world, and have never used an amp before, I usually listen straight out of my ipod/iphone or mac. I have owned sennheiser headphones, ear bus, as well as Beats pro.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 39
Try the FiiO E17, I have one and it works pretty good.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 39
Quote:
Hi, I am about to receive my Denon AH-D7100 in a few days time and after reading some of the threads on here, I have learned so much about the audiophile world and am thankful for all your input!

It would be great if you guys could recommend me some amplifiers to buy for portable use with ipod and iphone. Some people have recommended me using Fiio E17 or E10 or E7, which could be used both with my laptop and on the go. My budget does not allow me to spend hundreds of pounds on home entertainment systems as I'm still living at University accommodation. What are your opinions on this? What would be the best combination to use for my headphone? Thanks very much for your input.

I should mention that I'm new to the audiophile world, and have never used an amp before, I usually listen straight out of my ipod/iphone or mac. I have owned sennheiser headphones, ear bus, as well as Beats pro.

You should probably mention your maximum budget.

The way I see it, if you're willing to shell out for a D7100, you should have high priorities for high quality source material (the music) and not some itunes mess on a phone, and probably would want to run it from a really high quality DAC into a higher quality amplifier. Otherwise, it's kind of pointless to go high-end on a flagship headphone just to hook it into some compressed phone streaming material. Maybe I've got it all wrong, just throwing that out there.

The E17 is nice. But it's entry level.

Based on the D7100 itself, I would assume you wanted higher end than entry level source gear. But then again, you're using a phone, so I'm not sure.

Very best,

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 39
But then again, you're using a phone, so I'm not sure.

He also stated that he uses a Apple Mac.

A good thing about the E17 is that it will bypass your soundcard and it can be docked to the E9 for more power in the future, personally I only use lossless music files but 320 kb/s mp3 files will give you very good sound also.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:
He also stated that he uses a Apple Mac.
A good thing about the E17 is that it will bypass your soundcard and it can be docked to the E9 for more power in the future, personally I only use lossless music files but 320 kb/s mp3 files will give you very good sound also.

Why do we need so much power tho? The resistance for AH D7100 is only 16 Ohms, so it can find ample power from even portable music players by the looks of it.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:
You should probably mention your maximum budget.

The way I see it, if you're willing to shell out for a D7100, you should have high priorities for high quality source material (the music) and not some itunes mess on a phone, and probably would want to run it from a really high quality DAC into a higher quality amplifier. Otherwise, it's kind of pointless to go high-end on a flagship headphone just to hook it into some compressed phone streaming material. Maybe I've got it all wrong, just throwing that out there.

The E17 is nice. But it's entry level.

Based on the D7100 itself, I would assume you wanted higher end than entry level source gear. But then again, you're using a phone, so I'm not sure.

Very best,

Yes, you have a good point there haha. I am actually a beginner in this, so most of my music are actually 256-320kbps. I am thinking of spending around 100 pound on the amps/DAC. What products do you have in mind? Is it best to have amps for laptop listening as well? Maybe it's best if I get portable amps/DAC that could be used both for my phone and laptop? I also heard that DAC doesn't work with iphones? Is that true?
Thanks for your input!

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 39
Thanks, I'll look into it. Would you recommend E17 over the other Fiio products?

I went with the E17 as a upgrade over my E7, but I also grabbed a Burson amp which is my primary home piece and I use the E17 when on the road.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 39
It seems kind of strange to me to go with a pair of flagship headphones like the D7100 and only look at entry level amp/dacs to listen to lossy MP3's on an iPhone.

He said he also listens to 320 kb/s mp3's on a Mac, and what other portable amp will give him a audible improvement over the E17?

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 39
I'm also interested in this topic... I've got some Grado SR125i's and am looking for an amp...

A question... are cd's that are ripped to itunes the full quality? I.e. if we listened straight from the pc would they be at full quality?

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #15 of 39
A question... are cd's that are ripped to itunes the full quality? I.e. if we listened straight from the pc would they be at full quality?

You have to set up the bit rate to whatever quality you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back