Which amp/dac for Grado GS 1000?
Mar 14, 2008 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

m11a1

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, just ordered the GS 1000, I was wondering which headphone amplifier (non-portable) would be great for rock (pink floyd and other rock around that era, some later rock from RHCP, coldplay.....) classical, jazz, some electronica. And since my primary source my computer, I would need an amp that takes optical but if not, it's fine, not a requirement. Any ideas?

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 23
I'd say try out the HeadRoom Desktop. Syncs beautifully with computers. With the DAC module, it'll take optical, coaxial, and USB as well as analog. I use the USB out of the computer and the GS1K at the other end in single-ended mode. I've been thinking of having the GS1K rewired for balanced to use with the HRDB, but that's not a high priority since I'm getting great sound with the SE.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 23
feifan,

Just curious: how do the GS-1000's behave with your LD II amp? I'd love to have a moderately priced tube amp, but I want to make sure it works well with GS-1000's. Right now, I use these phones with either my Headroom MicroStack (or MicroDac + Grado RA-1).

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 23
I heard the Woo Audio amps at a meet with the GS1000 and the K701 and also Senn hd650 and other grados, and i thought it sounded great. Im going to get a Woo2 because of it.
It was the best i heard that day,i felt.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
feifan,

Just curious: how do the GS-1000's behave with your LD II amp? I'd love to have a moderately priced tube amp, but I want to make sure it works well with GS-1000's. Right now, I use these phones with either my Headroom MicroStack (or MicroDac + Grado RA-1).

ComfyCan, I usually use the GS1K with the HRD-SE, but I'm trying it right now in this lineup:

CDP > LD2++ > GS1K

For good ole Southern rock, it can't be beat. I'm listening to the Allman Brothers "Midnight Rider" and "Whipping Post." The volume's at 0945 and the guitars are in my face. The LD2s have a warmth and depth, and the power's plenty quick enough to keep the full range sharp and punchy. "Little Martha" is on now. I can almost feel the fingers running the strings.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 23
I guess it depends what you want to spend. from what I have read the Zana Deux is the a great match.$$$ From my own experience the gs-1000's sound better with tubes, but actually, I think all music sounds better with tubes. I had a WA6 when I had my gs-1000's and it was excellent. no fatigue, beautiful detail. I was/am using the dac1, and the headphone out from the dac1 with the gs-1000= sore ears. I have owned both the micro and ultra micro stack, I found them a bit warm, so it might be a good match.
I can only recommend what I have heard, and I would definitely recommend the Woo WA6 with the gs-1000's.

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the Woo Audio amps at a meet with the GS1000 and the K701 and also Senn hd650 and other grados, and i thought it sounded great. Im going to get a Woo2 because of it.
It was the best i heard that day,i felt.

The GS1000 works well with High-end tube amps. Low quality circuitry can make it sounds very muddy. GS1000 can also sound good with most high quality amps. However, I prefer the liquidity of tube/hybrid amps for the GS1000.

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanalei mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it depends what you want to spend. from what I have read the Zana Deux is the a great match.$$$ From my own experience the gs-1000's sound better with tubes, but actually, I think all music sounds better with tubes. I had a WA6 when I had my gs-1000's and it was excellent. no fatigue, beautiful detail. I was/am using the dac1, and the headphone out from the dac1 with the gs-1000= sore ears. I have owned both the micro and ultra micro stack, I found them a bit warm, so it might be a good match.
I can only recommend what I have heard, and I would definitely recommend the Woo WA6 with the gs-1000's.

Since my Woo WA6 arrives today (my b-day) I suppose this means I have to buy GS-1000 next?
eek.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my Woo WA6 arrives today (my b-day) I suppose this means I have to buy GS-1000 next?
eek.gif

I don't think it ever ends.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 23
Do you guys think the RA-1 would be fine?

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 23
I am using a WOO 2 with my GS1000s and it is an excellent combination. The GS1000 is also very good with the EC/SS. I have used the GS1k with a Headroom microstack. I didn't think the Microstack had quite the power to drive the GS1ks to their full potential. It didn't sound bad, but just not quite there. The WOO 2 is my favourite.

Other's may recommend Singlepower or a MAD purist. As I have heard neither of these, I cannot comment.

cheers
Simon

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 23
Well, the Woo Audio 2 has a whole bunch of inputs that I don't need so that's out of the question, I suppose it narrows down to the Woo Audio 2 and the Woo Audio 3. What's the difference? I can't tell, pretty much my main question is, which would be better for the GS-1000, 2 or 3?....or any other tube amplifier that's under 700.

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the Woo Audio 2 has a whole bunch of inputs that I don't need so that's out of the question, I suppose it narrows down to the Woo Audio 2 and the Woo Audio 3. What's the difference? I can't tell, pretty much my main question is, which would be better for the GS-1000, 2 or 3?....or any other tube amplifier that's under 700.

Woo Audio 6 is 570, which is also under 700. Do also check out the thread discussing Glow Amp One, which might prove a worthy candidate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back