Which ~$100 IEMs to buy from *gulp* Wal-Mart
Aug 21, 2008 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DigMe

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, guys. I recently won a $100 gift card to WM. They actually have a fairly decent selection of cans at walmart.com including Etymotics, UE, etc..

So if you HAD to use your $100 WM gift card on one of the following to use with Sony NW-S705F and an iPhone 3G which would you choose? I listen to indy rock, indy acoustic stuff, some jazz, some classical, some electronic, some hip-hop etc.. Mostly indy rock and acoustic.

Here are the choices:
UE SF.4

UE Metro.fi 200vi

Etymotic ER6iC

Etymotic ER-6C

Sennheiser CX-300B

I would like them to be comfortable as well as sounding good. The stock integrated noise-canceling headphones that come with the Sony NW-S705F do the noise-cancling thing very well but they get very uncomfortable after an hour or two.

Thanks for your input.

brad

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 9
I'll recommend you to cough up a bit more money and get the Superfi 5 EB. $157 is not too bad a price for them, while the prices for the er6s, cx300s and Superfi 4 is rather poor.

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 9
The best sounding and most musically dynamic set there in your list will be the UE4s. With a decent amp and quality converted music, they'll approach the Triples. They won't sound as good as the Triples but they will reach for them.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll recommend you to cough up a bit more money and get the Superfi 5 EB. $157 is not too bad a price for them, while the prices for the er6s, cx300s and Superfi 4 is rather poor.

But seriously...it doesn't matter at all if the price for them is poor because I'm using this gift card so I'm not out any money (Except for the SF.4 which would just be an extra $20).
smily_headphones1.gif
I just want to know which will give me the best sound (while still being comfortable) regardless of price. Any of these will probably be an upgrade for me.

What's the sound like on SF.5 EB? I considered those but I'm not really a basshead. I want decent full-range clarity. Is the bass in those just massive or what?

bc

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None

Really? You feel that none of those listed are any good? I was considering coughing up a $100 for some Head-Direct RE2's down the line somewhere until this gift card came along. I don't know...if I hear more comments that NONE of these I listed are any good then I may just hold off for the RE2's.

brad

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 9
It may be a little overpriced, but the Etymotic ER-6i may be the best choice out of all of them. Not enough bass for maybe hip-hop, but for acoustic and rock, they're well suited for those genres of music.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 9
Of the ones you list, I'd take the ER-6i without question.

That said, I would never buy them from Wal-Mart at that price.

If I were you I'd sell the gift card for $100 to someone who was going to spend that much at Wal-Mart anyway, and buy something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back