Where's the turtle in turtle soup?
Aug 23, 2009 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

gunny

Banned
I ordered turtle soup and it was just consomme with no turtle to be seen in my bowl. Tasted like Campbell's chicken stock that comes in a box. It was expensive too, what a rip off. Never order turtle soup as there is no turtle in it.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 22
I always thought it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 22
The chocolate Turtles I buy don't have real turtles in them either, it's quite maddening.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 22
Try the "Rock Soup" next time, though don't expect the main ingredient to be found in your serving either ;')

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 22
Come to Singapore and I'll get you some real turtle soup. You can even choose your own turtle as they keep them fresh in a terrarium. It's very popular here.
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered turtle soup and it was just consomme with no turtle to be seen in my bowl. Tasted like Campbell's chicken stock that comes in a box. It was expensive too, what a rip off. Never order turtle soup as there is no turtle in it.

Gross. If you get yourself to New Orleans, you can have the real deal. I had some at Antoine's Las Vegas branch, while it was still open, and it was amazingly intense and wonderful.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 22
Ok, thanks for the warning.
Guess I stay to lime soap then, as I get what the name say...

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 22
I suppose most turtle soup is made like most chicken soup: the cook ties a cord to one foot of the animal, throws it to the far side of the vat, and pulls it back quickly. Stone soup [it's not "rock soup"] is made in much the same way.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back