Where to go next?
Mar 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

GreyArea

100+ Head-Fier
Good evening Head-Fiers.
I require some advice.

I just broke my HD600s.
I managed to irreparably damage the driver in the right side. A silly accident and one that I regret. However, it's lead me to think about my headphone selection and, recently, I've been enjoying reading reviews and trying to decide on my next pair of headphones.

I've had the 600s for a couple of years now and thoroughly enjoyed listening to them; almost always through my DPA Enlightenment DAC and Lehmann Black Cube Linear Amp.
However, recently I've been using my Beyer DT880s (600ohm) more than the Senns. I've also been regularly stealing my friend's HD25-IIs and have listened to these more than the 600s.

I've not got a lot of cash to burn. I can't get a pair of HD800s or go STAX. I'll probably not spend more than £300. I'll buy new.
So, my question is:

Would you go closed (AKG550s, Ultrasone Pro900, DT770s, Audio Techinca, Senn Momentum)
Would you go open but get something different to the DT880s (ATH-AD900, AKG701s, or even HD650s)
Would you give Grado a try
Would you stick with what you know and just get another pair of 600s...

Or, would you call the whole thing off and reach for the bose..... (only joking)

I know this is highly subjective. I'm not here to ask "what's the best headphone under £###". I'm just wondering what general direction you guys would take.

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
Good evening Head-Fiers.
I require some advice.

I just broke my HD600s.
I managed to irreparably damage the driver in the right side. A silly accident and one that I regret. However, it's lead me to think about my headphone selection and, recently, I've been enjoying reading reviews and trying to decide on my next pair of headphones.

I've had the 600s for a couple of years now and thoroughly enjoyed listening to them; almost always through my DPA Enlightenment DAC and Lehmann Black Cube Linear Amp.
However, recently I've been using my Beyer DT880s (600ohm) more than the Senns. I've also been regularly stealing my friend's HD25-IIs and have listened to these more than the 600s.

I've not got a lot of cash to burn. I can't get a pair of HD800s or go STAX. I'll probably not spend more than £300. I'll buy new.
So, my question is:

Would you go closed (AKG550s, Ultrasone Pro900, DT770s, Audio Techinca, Senn Momentum)
Would you go open but get something different to the DT880s (ATH-AD900, AKG701s, or even HD650s)
Would you give Grado a try
Would you stick with what you know and just get another pair of 600s...

Or, would you call the whole thing off and reach for the bose..... (only joking)

I know this is highly subjective. I'm not here to ask "what's the best headphone under £###". I'm just wondering what general direction you guys would take.

One of the great things about Senn's is they are very repairable. Get a new driver from Sennheiser and replace it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 19
Not sure if sennheiser still sells HD600 drivers. They try to fix the old drivers, but you need to wait a month approx. 

But they sell HD650 drivers, maybe its time to take the next step. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
Not sure if sennheiser still sells HD600 drivers. They try to fix the old drivers, but you need to wait a month approx. 

But they sell HD650 drivers, maybe its time to take the next step. 

I wouldn't really think of the 650's as the next step. They're neither a step up or down from the 600's. They just have a slightly warmer sound signiture with a smoother (more rolled off) treble.

Sennheiser still make the HD600 model, so they will definitely have parts available.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 19
Mad Dogs or HE-400 or HE-500 if you can afford it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Mad Dogs or HE-400 or HE-500 if you can afford it.

I think the 500's are out of the question. Will never be found at £300.

The 400's may be available somewhere at that price, but it will require some shopping around, as they usual sell at about the £400 point.

The Planar-Magnetic technology intrigues me though. Will have to try and get a shot of a pair, just for the experience.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

I wouldn't really think of the 650's as the next step. They're neither a step up or down from the 600's. They just have a slightly warmer sound signiture with a smoother (more rolled off) treble.

Sennheiser still make the HD600 model, so they will definitely have parts available.

Do consider that the HD650 scale well with better gear. While the 600's not as much. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 19
I think the 500's are out of the question. Will never be found at £300.

The 400's may be available somewhere at that price, but it will require some shopping around, as they usual sell at about the £400 point.

The Planar-Magnetic technology intrigues me though. Will have to try and get a shot of a pair, just for the experience.

Then Mad Dogs are your answer, I think.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

A point that many will probably not be prepared to go beyond.

That's when they need to start their own Sound quest 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back