Where to get decent Toslink cables
Jan 8, 2009 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Geruvah

100+ Head-Fier
I'm hearing a few horror stories about my choice to go toslink. But I'm looking for a decent cable to use for my Mac Pro -> Keces 131.1 DAC.

There was a thread saying to go to Blue Jeans Cable, but theirs is POF, a bit lossy but aids in durability. I still may want to go the glass route if that's possible. And in Parts Express, they don't give much information about their stuff. There was one, the Esoteric EDI2-2M that's $30 for 2 metres. That seems fair, for me. The DAC will be about that far away.

Any help will be appreciated guys.

specsports20080108jp6.jpg

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 14
They are all the same pretty much.

Plastic - Cheap and effective
Cheap Glass - Prone to breaking and wont work with most mini adapters (Pure Crap)
Expensive Glass - Never tried one but people swear by them

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 14
For 2m, plastic will do fine. Spend $3 (bland) or $10 (good lookin'). Esoteric doesn't even state whether they employ glass-fiber. But they do win the price for the most annoying website background and I'm happy their optical leads come with decent shielding... *smirk*
As oldblueyez said: Buy a cheap one or get a nice $100 one from van den Hul or so if you think that you are unhappy with the cheap one or think there might be a problem with proper photon-flow on those 2m.

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 14
Didn't even notice they said anything about shielding. Minus points for them since it sounds like they're trying to pull what Monster would do with marketing. Ha.

Looks like monoprice may be my place.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm using a monoprice optical cables for home theatre and audio room use. Their cables are beefy to me, a lot better than what you usually see included with anything. Of course I am a subscriber of the if it's a digital cable then it either works or doesn't, there is no in between.

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 14
Audioquest Optilink-1, IMO is a very good deal. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 14
My monoprice 25 foot is gorgeous. Metal rectangular connector, gray techflex, works with mini adapters, quite happy.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My monoprice 25 foot is gorgeous. Metal rectangular connector, gray techflex, works with mini adapters, quite happy.

Would you happen to be using these? For only $6.36 each when QTY 50+ purchased - PREMIUM 25FT Optical Toslink Cable w/ Metal Fancy Connector | Toslink to Toslink

Oooh I got a $30 Best Buy gift card. I don't really shop at that place because of it's true reputation, but wonder what I can blast this money on. Eh....they have Dynex and Monster cables. I guess soundtracks it is then.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #12 of 14
Those are the ones. 25 feet is a little longer than I need, but there is 0 incentive to going short with optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back