Where to get Altoids in "Down Under"?
Feb 27, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 11
Although shipping is ridiculous(For 20 altoids tins, the price was 35.80+42.67SH), if you really want some and can't find it anywhere in Oz(unlikely), shopinprivate.com has some. They're apparently in the business of selling things that people would be embaressed to buy in public, but Altoids are on the list because of a particular urban legend... Anyway, just search for altoids on that site

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 11
hey martioz

you might want to post a thread like this in the Members' Lounge, or try PM'ing and other Aussies...

however, if you just need one or two cases, i'd be happy to send them to you. however, can you send me a postal code so i can run by a post office or somewhere to get an estimate on shipping?

id supply the mints if youll pay shipping?

let me know if youd like to take me up on this. if you post here and i dont respond, please PM me (things can get hectic and i tend to be forgetful)

gluck

Feb 27, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for all replies, looks like one of the necessary DIY electronic part is hard to obtain in Australia
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Guess I'll be the first
very_evil_smiley.gif

Altoids

I seem to remember an old post about someone else who couldn't locate Altoids Tins, and ended up using Fisherman's Friend, a cough lozenge <sp?>, that also comes in a handy metal tin. Surely there has to be something in a tin over in Oz? What does the Crocodile Hunter take with him for a long day of croc wrestling to freshen up for his missus??

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 11
Actually, before I was lazy, and I just searched for international shipping and altoids. It was meant as a last-ditch choice if you couldn't find it anywhere else. I thought it would be easy to find a local place.

I was bored today, and decided to try a little harder. I think that altoids doesn't do business in Oz, so I guess that's the reason you've never seen any. That leaves foreign candy importers. I Google'd using the country code search, and found a company called, very strangely, USAfoods.com.au. - Their motto is "The United Taste of America." They are based out of Bentleigh, Victoria. Their website interface sucks, but they are local, and shipping, via the australian post, should be reasonable. They charge $4.41AUD for a normal-sized peppermint tin of altoids.

Really though, google is your friend .

Mar 1, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 11
Hey Martioz,
As da_burl mentioned, you can use the Fisherman's Friend tin, but it is smaller I think than the altoids.
It measures apprx. : 6cm (max) x 5cm x 1.2cm. I got mine from Safeway awhile back. But be careful it is very "flimsy" (delicate).
You can always go down to your local chemist and ask for some "lonzene" (sp) that came in a tin. I can't remember the brand right now.
If that doesn't help you can always go for Pascall's "t-Drops" 50gr NET aluminium top, plastic bottom round shape. (orange flavoured candy). 7.5cm

But that brand of cough lonzgenes from the pharmacie are fairly large. Now only if I could remember the name, since it was a common one.

Mar 5, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 11
Martioz, the mints were shipped this morning.
I sent you a PM

enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back