Where to from ath m50x
Dec 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #16 of 23
I think the 500's would be closest, certainly not the regular 400's. On a budget, I'm sure even the 400i could work great. Maybe ask in the 560 thread for ideas? Also, I think the x2's you may not like given your other preferences. Good luck, keep asking questions and auditioning!

Edited:: I don't recommend the HE-400's!

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #17 of 23
I prefer the TH600 to all of the HiFiMans you listed. I don't find them to have an extreme V shape as others have mentioned here but rather a slight U shape. I'd have to imagine though if you were to make the jump into these higher end planars that you'd want to upgrade your dac/amp. I'm not saying that its absolutely necessary but just know when you get into the planar game there's a good chance you will quickly be asking yourself what other gear can you add into your chain to get the most out of your new cans. Obviously YMMV.

If it were me, I'd probably get into something that doesn't cost such a premium price like a TH600 or an HE560 and buy something that's a clear upgrade to your m50 at not such an extreme level like an HE400(i)/HE500 or a DT880/990 - there's honestly a ton of headphones that would be an upgrade to an M50 it all just comes down to what you're looking for. What's your budget for all of this?

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #18 of 23
  I prefer the TH600 to all of the HiFiMans you listed. I don't find them to have an extreme V shape as others have mentioned here but rather a slight U shape. I'd have to imagine though if you were to make the jump into these higher end planars that you'd want to upgrade your dac/amp. I'm not saying that its absolutely necessary but just know when you get into the planar game there's a good chance you will quickly be asking yourself what other gear can you add into your chain to get the most out of your new cans. Obviously YMMV.

If it were me, I'd probably get into something that doesn't cost such a premium price like a TH600 or an HE560 and buy something that's a clear upgrade to your m50 at not such an extreme level like an HE400(i)/HE500 or a DT880/990 - there's honestly a ton of headphones that would be an upgrade to an M50 it all just comes down to what you're looking for. What's your budget for all of this?

The HE-400i, HE-500, and DT 880 aren't clear upgrades from the M50/M50X but I agree with your point.  I would think that the TH600 and TH500rp are closer to the M50/M50X?

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #19 of 23

The HE-400i, HE-500, and DT 880 aren't clear upgrades from the M50/M50X but I agree with your point.  I would think that the TH600 and TH500rp are closer to the M50/M50X?

Are you saying they aren't clear upgrades because they have different sound signatures or because they aren't that much of an upgrade?

I haven't heard the TH500rp so I can't comment there.

I can somewhat see how the TH600 would be considered close sound-wise to the m50 as they're both closed and have "fun" signatures but that's about all they have in common. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #20 of 23
  Are you saying they aren't clear upgrades because they have different sound signatures or because they aren't that much of an upgrade?

I haven't heard the TH500rp so I can't comment there.

I can somewhat see how the TH600 would be considered close sound-wise to the m50 as they're both closed and have "fun" signatures but that's about all they have in common. 

Yes I meant they have different sound signatures.  They're definitely an upgrade in terms of technicalities and pure sound quality.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #21 of 23

Yes I meant they have different sound signatures.  They're definitely an upgrade in terms of technicalities and pure sound quality.

Cool - agreed. The only reason I mentioned some of those other cans earlier because it sounded like the OP had a chance to listen to some other headphones and I'm thinking based on OPs feedback that the V shaped sound might not be what OP is seeking (although I did still mention the DT990/HE400 because I think they're worth of consideration in that price range).

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #22 of 23
hi

i've noticed to give the he400s a wide berth. as you suggested i'll read and ask in the 560 thread for comparisons between the he400i/500/560 in case someone has head all three

appreciate your feedback, ideas and time - i think i've come across something very special for me in these he560s, or at least the hifiman cans

cheers
peter t

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #23 of 23

hi guys

the title of the thread may be a little misleading.

it's not a direct upgrade that i seek from the m50x but something better/way better.

you asked what's my budget well it started a few months ago with getting replacement earbuds for my koss plugs for about $10. $1250 later............

i guess i'm now sitting with the best bang for buck i can get for an additional layout of under $1000. i do appreciate their is a point of diminishing returns however the he560s i just heard have seriously moved me. mind you, they are the first $1000 headphones i heard too

after initially looking for closed cans i now am happy with open cans since almost all of my proper serious listening will be at home. and the athm50x are growing more and more on me for when i am on public transport - they may not have been my first choice if i listened to others around that price point before i bought them but i'm quite cool with them

what i am really seeking now is a set of headphones that highlight clarity, depth, great soundstage, relative neautralness. i don't mind some bass presence but i don't want that to be a dominating character - ie it's there when i want to listen to it and not that it reminds me it's there when i press play.

what i loved about the he560s is that they had all the attributes i was looking for. i loved the clarity. it has slightly forward upper mids (i think) but these were not over the top for me. i enjoy a focus on piano and vocals and all this was so well integrated in the whole wound structure

hence now i am looking to see where the 560s sit relative in quality and $$ to the other hifimans.

from what i understand the th600s have a little too much grunt/momentum for me - even though i have listened to the th600s it was only brief and they did not have a wow factor me - mind you i dont think i gave them a proper listen to yet

on the other hand when listening to the he560s i had to constantly remind myself i was demoing them and not just there to list to them on so many occassions. they really drew me in with no "twangs", red flags or amy points f concerns being raised. did i mention i like them

the only one negative point was that they do spill out a lot of sound i thought, but hey, who cares - i can work around that.

with that all in mind should i keep my search these hifimans or are there other similar sounding headphones i could sus out?
i am planning to listen to the t5p and the dt880s just to comapreeven though i feel i am already sold

cheers and thanks for your contribution to my thread and search
peter t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back