Where To Download Lossless Music
Sep 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #46 of 158
I REALLY like the selection available on Qobuz, but they're prices are outrageous, and apparently your account has to be 'unlocked' if you are not in France.

It would be great if Amazon Music Store would offer FLAC downloads.  Why CD-quality FLAC downloads are available in France but not the USA, I really will never know.  It would make more sense to offer it in the USA and make the money.

Yeah amazon should step it up and be the first to say "lossy sucks; we know what you really want" but then again, most users probably wouldn't notice a difference. Regardless, I like their auto-rip thing when I order a CD. (Yes I still buy CDs.... I'm an old fart I guess)

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #47 of 158
  I REALLY like the selection available on Qobuz, but they're prices are outrageous, and apparently your account has to be 'unlocked' if you are not in France.

It would be great if Amazon Music Store would offer FLAC downloads.  Why CD-quality FLAC downloads are available in France but not the USA, I really will never know.  It would make more sense to offer it in the USA and make the money.

Same here. I pay for a proxy in France just to be able to download from Qobuz. (Is that legal at all? Don't really know, but it works. And at least I pay for my music.) It's the selection of music and the availability of Studio Master recordings that makes the difference.

As for the unlocking of my account: does anyone know the conditions to become eligible for an unlocked account? I guess spending a lot of money on Qobuz is not enough... I know, I could ask customer service, but I'm afraid they will notice I use a proxy to do my shopping.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #48 of 158

Same here. I pay for a proxy in France just to be able to download from Qobuz. (Is that legal at all? Don't really know, but it works. And at least I pay for my music.) It's the selection of music and the availability of Studio Master recordings that makes the difference.

As for the unlocking of my account: does anyone know the conditions to become eligible for an unlocked account? I guess spending a lot of money on Qobuz is not enough... I know, I could ask customer service, but I'm afraid they will notice I use a proxy to do my shopping.

When you go to make a purchase, there is a link to contact customer service.  I just did that and wrote them an email and they unlocked my account.

Idk why they don't expand business to the US.  This could put iTunes out of business.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #49 of 158
Really? Was it that easy?

What reason did you give them? Or did you just ask them to unlock your account?

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #51 of 158
Today I sent a mail to Qobuz. Now wait...

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #53 of 158
Thank you sir. I always pay via Paypal, so I guess the bank will be okay with that.

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #54 of 158
Victoire! Thank you for the hint, hogger129. And thank you, Qobuz.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #56 of 158
Yeah I love their selection, especially when it's available at CD-quality, but their prices are a bit high.  I guess I don't understand why iTunes or Amazon don't offer CD-quality downloads yet.

I was under the impression that iTunes offers a lossless option called ALAC (Apple lossless audio codec) with certain titles. I don't use iTunes because of DRM, so I wouldn't know. Is it true they offer ALAC?

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #57 of 158
   melodishop.com has the latest albums in mp3 format .they also have flac albums available.

Pretty easy to spot a mp3 and a flac, drop it into Audacity and take a look at the spectrum

and I do not know what you guys will think of me for this comment, but I found this place at head fi so you know

I like What.cd for my music, and... let's just say I spend about $30 a month on it, still for any one interested give it a google! If anything, you will learn a LOT about preserving the quality of music, and how to spot poorly transcoded music. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #59 of 158
I was under the impression that iTunes offers a lossless option called ALAC (Apple lossless audio codec) with certain titles. I don't use iTunes because of DRM, so I wouldn't know. Is it true they offer ALAC?

As far as I know, the downloads available on iTunes are 256k, 16-bit, 44.1khz, AAC across-the-board.  They also did away with the DRM when they made the change.  At one time, 128k AAC with DRM was what they sold, but not anymore. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #60 of 158
Ah, thanks. Well I haven't touched iTunes since 2004 so that explains it. I've weaned myself on other distributors since then, but this is good to know.

It's a shame digital lossless is so rare or difficult to find. I like hdtracks but I do a lot of research before I buy because I got burned with Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours." It's mastered WAY too hot/loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back