Where to buy PS-1's in Germany
May 17, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
At 1050 Euro's thats 1325$US, not including taxes..... Damn! And here i thought we could beat the system. Oh well.

Id still love to find out from todd about what deal he has with John. This whole PS-1 mystery is rather odd to me.

The deal is quite simple. John permits Todd to sell PS-1's at a rate of 2/month. The price is $1400. From my understanding the parts are shipped to Germany, assembled there and then the finished PS-1's are shipped back to Todd. Crazy system...but well, they are worth it (at least in my opinion).

May 17, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 42
But why is that painful system in place? Why not John just make the PS-1's and sell them with his current GRADO line? Could it be legal matters? Perhaps its the same system with alessandro, but this time the other manufacture builds the phone? Does John not "own" the PS-1 headphone design?

Someone should make a documentary on this! haha!

May 17, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

But why is that painful system in place? Why not John just make the PS-1's and sell them with his current GRADO line? Could it be legal matters? Perhaps its the same system with alessandro, but this time the other manufacture builds the phone? Does John not "own" the PS-1 headphone design?

Someone should make a documentary on this! haha!

There are no legal matters that I am aware of, they own the design, they are still Grados. The problems as some have suggested is that they would compete with the RS-1's, their current flagship and the fact that they are very costly to produce, could kill sales of RS-1's while not recouping that lost revenue from sales of PS-1's.

May 17, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #21 of 42
ahhhh. so tempting..... I donno guys, is it reeeeeaaally worth droppin that?? 3 months ago i would of shot myself knowing that i would spend 700$ on a pair of MSPRO's. I dont regret my purchase in any way, but i dont think i could forgive myself for flushing almost double that. I just bought an RA-1 (dont flame, i like its neutrality), Juli@ soundcard, Glass optical cable, meier HA-1mkII & gilmore lite w/PSU (selling both). At the moment my MSPRO's sound unbeleivable (emphasis on moment).

May 17, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

ahhhh. so tempting..... I donno guys, is it reeeeeaaally worth droppin that?? 3 months ago i would of shot myself knowing that i would spend 700$ on a pair of MSPRO's. I dont regret my purchase in any way, but i dont think i could forgive myself for flushing almost double that. I just bought an RA-1 (dont flame, i like its neutrality), Juli@ soundcard, Glass optical cable, meier HA-1mkII & gilmore lite w/PSU (selling both). At the moment my MSPRO's sound unbeleivable (emphasis on moment).

Personally, I would hold off until you can have a listen to a pair. If you love the sound of the MSPro's you may not be thrilled by the improvement, if any, of the PS-1's. They are different, have some superior qualities, but don't demolish the MS Pro's or the RS-1's in a subtantial manner. Thus, for the extra 700 you gotta want what they offer REALLY badly.

May 18, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #23 of 42
I know I am going to get flamed for this but PS-1 is not worth the money. It's a distraction, sidestep for people who don't like the RS-1's. While people feel the RS-1's are coloured or whatever, strip that away and your left with a PS-1.

Now while everyone goes on about the liquid (smooth) midrange I sound it to be dull. While bass is tighter and detailed compared to the RS-1's it doesn't sound to my ears to go deeper, just controlled and tight. But when moving from a different headphone to the PS-1's other than the Grado range headfiers find it bass heavy. Personally I think there's not enough.

If I wanted a different sound to the RS-1's I would rather opt for the hp-series and even though the prices are quite high it still proves to be cheaper than the PS-1's. And I prefer the Hp-series over the PS-1's.

May 18, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
If I wanted a different sound to the RS-1's I would rather opt for the hp-series and even though the prices are quite high it still proves to be cheaper than the PS-1's. And I prefer the Hp-series over the PS-1's.

I agree. To me the HP-1000's are the best all around headphone. The prices do get high but nowhere near as high as the PS-1's (at least not unless the HP-1's are in mint mint with box and papers).

May 18, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I agree. To me the HP-1000's are the best all around headphone. The prices do get high but nowhere near as high as the PS-1's (at least not unless the HP-1's are in mint mint with box and papers).

I know the hp-series are tonally dead and to be honest I have no reason to like them but I do for some weird reason although I am not that keen on the PS-1's. Although for me the PS-1's are the best "high end" besides the Qualia I have heard. Just guess me and high end phones don't mix. Knew I should of stuck with just my Rs-1's
rs1smile.gif

May 18, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Knew I should of stuck with just my Rs-1's
rs1smile.gif

It would have been cheaper but not nearly as much fun
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #27 of 42
I hope one day i get to hear Joe's headphones..... I tend to go for more neutral sounding equipment. I changed over to alessandro because i found John Grado to have somewhat of a big ego when it comes to the way HE thinks music should sound. I kno the MSPRO's are still a grado, but to me, they are one step closer to neutral. My definition of neutral is Dynaudio (their studio monitors and home speakers), the MSPRO is currently the closet thing i have herd to dyn's (emphasis on the currently).

May 18, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

I hope one day i get to hear Joe's headphones..... I tend to go for more neutral sounding equipment. I changed over to alessandro because i found John Grado to have somewhat of a big ego when it comes to the way HE thinks music should sound. I kno the MSPRO's are still a grado, but to me, they are one step closer to neutral. My definition of neutral is Dynaudio (their studio monitors and home speakers), the MSPRO is currently the closet thing i have herd to dyn's (emphasis on the currently).

I suppose so but the MS-pros have that midrange extension which the dynaudios's don't have.

Before I got into headphones I use to own a pair of contour 1.3mk2 and they were more closer to neutral to the B&W's I had before. But HP-2's are more flatter and tonally deader than the ms-pro's.

May 18, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #29 of 42
Midrange extension? Negatively or positively? I do notice the MSPRO's have the slightest tube reverb coloration, noticed in the higher mids/lower highs. I have noticed this slight coloration on ALL Grado's with extended air chambers (SR325i thru RS-1). Some people describe it as the sound signature similar to slightly covering the earpieces, evident in certain frequencies. With the Alessandro phones it is lessened to almost non-existent (when wearing the bowls properly), but on the rare recording you can sense its presence. I believe this is the fix that Alessandro employs throughout their line. If you look in their air chamber (the MSPRO's for example) you can see a hard substance applied to the back of the driver. This substance covers up one of the 3 holes in the back of the grado driver, for this is the instance it is transformed into the alessandro version. The Covering of the hole and substance on the back of the driver changes the airflow of the driver/enclosure thus altering the sonic qualities of the speaker. My SR225's do not have this substance, nor did i notice it on my previous SR325i's, or RS-2's.

But anyway, back to the MSPRO's, i will be writing a review shortly, but so far am impressed with their results.

Rhydon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back