Where to buy PS-1's in Germany
May 20, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #31 of 42
You got a good point. John is already compensating for the PS-1's high costs by its EXTREMLY high retail price. I still think John has some sort of contract in place, or something limiting him, like he dosent have a choice.....

Otherwise, it makes no sense.

Someone should call the guy. But be carefull, hes has a VERY big ego. I called him once and he couldnt be any bit more rude.

May 20, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #32 of 42
I find the alessandro phones are good choice for people who would like to get into grado phones but find the grado highs too much. But I find while the Ms-pro's are the best out of the alessandro lineup it sounds less fun than the equivalent Rs-1's. The bass on the ms-pro's are a little bit more controlled and tighter than the Rs-1's, but that depends on how you find the rs-1's bass. While some people might find the rs-1's highs a bit too much for them, it is more fun for sure.

But the reason why the ms-pro's could never be my main phone is that the midrange has a "dry" sound. But then again you might feel this is more better suited for your personal taste's.

The reverb you talk about is what I suspect is due to the wooden chambers giving a longer decay rate than most dynamic phones. It is this attribute which headfiers who do not like the rs-1's the most annoying. Again this may/may not be for you depending on personal taste's.

On regards to the PS-1, while I feel it's one of the better phones out there when you take into account build, cost, sound then I find hard to justify it the retail price. And if you are one of the minority who are not keen on it anyway it makes the price tag harder to swallow.

But if you get the chance take a listen to ps-1's, hp-series, rs-1's and you will know for yourself.

May 20, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #33 of 42
Hi,

Just to set the record straight, I do not have a deal with John Grado. The German dealer, as with us dealers in the USA, is not permitted to ship Grado product outside of his territory. He allows me to purchase 2 headphones a month to sell to customers in the USA. I have a $1400 price on them. So you can lay to rest the DEAL rumor and if you want a PS-1 you can go to Germany and buy one and bring it back or you can get one from TTVJ. These are a limited production headphone and stock may be getting short soon... how's that for a rumor
rs1smile.gif

Todd

May 20, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #34 of 42
AHAHAH!! TODD! i see why you are well loved here!

Thats good to hear about the PS-1's. Your the go-to guy regarding them, i will definatly remember that. Everytime i see your name i think of how good those PS-1's might sound, then quickly to follow a glimpse of my empty dusty wallet.

But Todd, doesnt Johny-boy get all upset at you for doing what your doing??? If he has the rule in place for the US retailers, and the same strength one is in place for the EU but for the PS-1, i could see him gettin antsy. To me it seems like theres a reason why that rule is in place.... And if it were because of just territory reasons, why isnt the PS-1 available AT ALL in the US from US retailers.....

May 20, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #35 of 42
The PS-1 belongs to the German distributor, just like the Alesandro headphones belong to Alesandro. I just happened to strike a deal and the supplies are limited so I got lucky and have 2 PS-1 headphones a month to sell. I am even luckier to have great customers who buy them.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mr Grado and if he asked me not to sell the 2 pair I get I would honor his request. This is between the German distributor and myself.

Todd

May 20, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #37 of 42
I really think you should try to listen to them.
For me, I just got a used pair and am listening very happily.
I had them last year as well, but sold them to try out the qualias, and now here I am back again.

PS1 and qualia are entirely different beasts, and I think, in retrospect, I'd like to have both of them. Qualias are outstanding headphones, but couldn't justify it with the price and level of use since I travel frequently.

I did have the RS1 and PS1 at the same time for a brief period and, in my opinion, thought the PS1 was better than the RS1 in every way...except comfort since they are much heavier. More warmth, detail, bass...

Try a pair or maybe if you see a used pair, get them. I think a used pair is one of the best values.

The only headphone I'm really curious about now is the HP2...

May 20, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #38 of 42
So, Todd, tell us, is it really true that the PS-1s are assembled (at least partially) in germany? I'm having a hard time believing this rumour, but maybe there's something to it. Thanks in advance. JM

May 20, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
So, Todd, tell us, is it really true that the PS-1s are assembled (at least partially) in germany? I'm having a hard time believing this rumour, but maybe there's something to it. Thanks in advance. JM

The PS-1s are fully assembled at grado labs then shipped to Germany.

May 20, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #40 of 42
I thought so, despite the fact that you're not Todd.

May 20, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
I thought so, despite the fact that you're not Todd.

Last time I looked I am not Todd
tongue.gif
but I asked John Grado about where the PS-1s where being built ,so this is fact & not a rumor.

May 20, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Last time I looked I am not Todd
tongue.gif
but I asked John Grado about where the PS-1s where being built ,so this is fact & not a rumor.

Nice one! Good to know. Also, very interesting about the possibility of dwindling numbers. I guess the Germans are at the end of their run (as in they don't need anymore) and as such, Grado who had already stated they would make as long as the Germans wanted them, will discontinue them, which is a sad day for the Grado lovers out there. Makes me all the more pleased I have a pair. They are still the more liquid sounding headphone I have EVER heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back