Where to buy a Cell Phone w/o a Plan
Oct 6, 2005 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
Hey all,

A friend of mine needs to buy a new cell phone since her's broke (LG 4650), but doesn't have insurance on it. She has Verizon, and went to the Verizon store, and got charged a hell of a lot for a replacement and they made her extend her plan for 2 years (which I think cost her $70 in itself...I'm not privy on all the details). She can return it within 15 days, so she is looking for a replacement phone only but doesn't know where to get one w/o having to sign up for a new plan.

Other than ebay, are there any places, online or in LA, that sell cell phones at decent prices w/o forcing you to start up a new plan?

Thanks from both of us.

Oct 6, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 6
If it's a GSM phone, do a Google search on "unlocked" model of your GF's phone. Be warned that unlocked phones are expensive but will allow you to use any active GSM simcard from any service provider.

Oct 6, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm not sure if Verizon does pay as you go phones, but it's worth looking into. I have Cingular and my old phone didn't get a strong enough signal to work inside my apartment. So I found a Nokia that's known for better RF performance and offered as a "go phone". Cost me 60 bucks at WalMart - I just moved my "plan" SIM card over to it and never activated the prepaid SIM it came with. No contract, no additional anything.

Be advised that a lot of the prepaid/pay as you go phones are of lower quality than what you can get for say, 50 bucks and a contract at your local provider's store.

Oct 7, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 6
ebay is really the only option

Maybe yes,maybe not.

For whatever reason i let my cell phone lapse and when i went to turn it back on I could not ! The reason is my phone pre-dates the manditory tracking chip which

A-I want no part of and
B-I can not stand these little cutsy phones that I would either break or lose and want my mid size BACK !
tongue.gif

But nope.Not gonna happen so i am "phoneless" until i find what I want rather than what they want to sell me even though not a good fit.

Oct 7, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 6
ebay is an option, but make sure you don't get burned. I bought a used one and it has scratches all over the place even though the seller claimed it had none. Will try to replace screen this weekend - wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back