Where is the best place to buy a new pair of DT770-80s?
Jul 6, 2007 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
Everywhere I looked so far, says they sell the 250 ohm version of the 770s. Do you have to special order the 80 ohm version from the manufacturer? Or am I just not looking hard enough?

P.S. Just to make absolutly sure one last time, the DT770-80s sound great without an amplifier, correct?

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everywhere I looked so far, says they sell the 250 ohm version of the 770s. Do you have to special order the 80 ohm version from the manufacturer? Or am I just not looking hard enough?

P.S. Just to make absolutly sure one last time, the DT770-80s sound great without an amplifier, correct?

Hello SpacemanSpiff23,

I have gotten mine on eBay about 2 years ago and I have put countless hours on them. I can certainly attest that the 770 will sound much better with a good amp. Without one they can sound satisfying (but rather thin) until you listen them with a amp. I had 3 amps so far: cmoy, portable amp and now a tube amp, I can tell you that the cans scale up with the amp! In fact I liked the 770 80ohm so much I got another pair custom modified from Larry at www.headphile.com.

Don't forget that cans are good for many years (Many have cans older than my age that are still working perfectly!) and buying them used is also a wise choice, because the people you will find around here are the best to deal with and they can potentially guide you through your audio adventure!
wink.gif

Charles

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 25
Just get them here on the forum. The DT770/80 pop up all of the time. If you want a new pair and have $200, you can find a local Guitar Center or buy from Musicians Friend online.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 25
Larry @ Headphile has them, don't know if he'll sell them to you without being darth modded but you can always ask him

when i owned them they sounded much better amp imho and are still fairly hard to drive even @ 80ohms

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 25
Hello space,

I was really unhappy when i got them (80ohm version). the mids and highs sounded recessed but the bass is fantastic.I am using a pc with a x-fi extreme music sound card and logitech z5500 speakers. I play games so thats major reason i bought them they are what i would call fun gaming headphones because the explosions will make you creme your pants, you can still hear really good detail but sometimes when theres lots going on all you can hear is the explosions so you would be better off going with different cans for perfect in game hearing.

I do like these headphones more and more and I wont be parting with these because they are just like wearing a subwoofer on your head and are really fun. The recessed mids and highs don't stand out to me as much now,maybe im used to it now? I listen to my music loud i like to feel like i'm in a nightclub i think these cans sound good without an amp as i am not using one,however i think they would sound really good with an amp they don't sound like they are at the potential at all to me but still sound good. I actually like these headphones more and more with burn in even though i hated them when i first plugges them in from delivery and a few days after.

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 25
Maybe the DT770-80s arent what I'm looking for.

I want something for movies and video games that are of equal in sound quality to the A900s, but with more bass. I didn't want to spend more than 200, and it would be nice if I didn't have to buy an amplifier.

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guitar Center. And, DT770-80 are outstanding for movies and video games. They sound fine unamped - I ran them from an X-Fi Music Xtreme sound card.

x2. I also ran it unamped from an x-fi xm, and got called a wallhack plenty times.
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 25
These will most likely me plugged into an Onkyo Receiver.

Guitar center seems a little expensive, I got my headphones for $189 at audiocubes, but at Guitar Center, they are $249.

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine from this guy. He shipped the very next day. Great seller.

hey not bad. i got mine from guitarinsider... i didnt bid on any items, i just haggled with him on email and got 2 pairs of them for $280 shipped

Jul 7, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These will most likely me plugged into an Onkyo Receiver.

Guitar center seems a little expensive, I got my headphones for $189 at audiocubes, but at Guitar Center, they are $249.

I got mine from GC for $225 after tax and a 2 year warranty(IIRC). Kinda expensive but very worth it imo=]

*edit* oh, you might be talking about the a900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back