Where does the iPod 5G rank in 2012?
Jun 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #17 of 32
Compared to the ease of install on a 5.5G it's a nightmare. When it's that easy for my 7G I'll Rockbox it.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #18 of 32
Is it as easy, as the 5.5g no? No one ever said that, but it's not a nightmare, and something that can sill be done in 5-10 min. But it's understandable if one does not want to go through the hassle of rockboxing a 7g, but I wouldn't go that far, as there are simple layed out steps on how to do it.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #19 of 32
For me if it isn't one click I'll pass,...eventually it should get easier.

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:
For me if it isn't one click I'll pass,...eventually it should get easier.

Quote:
Hopefufully so. I do miss the dual boot option.

Sorry for quoting you, just wanted to get your attention as you seem like knowledgeable people :)

I'm wondering if I should sell the iPod whilst it's still in great condition? I got a £10 case with it - how much do you reckon I could get for it, and is it worth selling it anyway to get another player under £100 (any recommendations for something >= 30GB?)

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #22 of 32
I think the 5G is very pleasing and because many people have treble strong IEMs, headphones etc, the 5G adds a bit of body with its highs rolled off.

I prefer the more recent models and let my headphones do the work, I find my triple fis 10 match the 5G well, but with the ATH-ESW9 it gets a little too dark. 
I used to prefer my ipod 5G with my home system via copper Qables LOD, but now prefer my Fostex via  digital cable to my home system.

For portable clarity I prefer my ipod touch 4G + Flacplayer app > Fostex hp_p1 > ATH-CK10.

I would personally go for the ipod touch 4G and use sonicmaxpro app, equalizer app, EQu app or flacplayer app and just roll those highs off yourself, rather than buying six years old technology.

Or If more storage ipod classic 7g or Cowon J3, X7.

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:
I think the 5G is very pleasing and because many people have treble strong IEMs, headphones etc, the 5G adds a bit of body with its highs rolled off.

I prefer the more recent models and let my headphones do the work, I find my triple fis 10 match the 5G well, but with the ATH-ESW9 it gets a little too dark. 
I used to prefer my ipod 5G with my home system via copper Qables LOD, but now prefer my Fostex via  digital cable to my home system.

For portable clarity I prefer my ipod touch 4G + Flacplayer app > Fostex hp_p1 > ATH-CK10.

I would personally go for the ipod touch 4G and use sonicmaxpro app, equalizer app, EQu app or flacplayer app and just roll those highs off yourself, rather than buying six years old technology.

Or If more storage ipod classic 7g or Cowon J3, X7.

Those are all well out of my price range - I only have about £70 to spend :S

Any other suggestions?

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #26 of 32
You suuuure? :)

There aren't any other ~30GB (or lower with expandable memory via microsd or something) players for < £70-80?

Your not going to get a huge boost in sq above what your getting now. Enjoy what you have, guilt free, as it's still an excellent player. And if it's Rockboxed it sounds equal to any high quality player on the planet.

So, as another has already said, enjoy your 5G! No shame to the game! :cool:

If anything, save a few more $$$ and get better hp's or iem's. That's where the difference in sq will come from.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:
Your not going to get a huge boost in sq above what your getting now. Enjoy what you have, guilt free, as it's still an excellent player. And if it's Rockboxed it sounds equal to any high quality player on the planet.
So, as another has already said, enjoy your 5G! No shame to the game!
cool.gif

If anything, save a few more $$$ and get better hp's or iem's. That's where the difference in sq will come from.

I've got Etymotic MC5's, good enough? They're a bit too transparent and neutral, so when I try out cheaper IEMs I appreciate the warmth, but I guess that's what the EQ is for?

Maybe I won't get a boost in sq, but won't I get something more future-proof or smaller in size? (The first time I took my iPod out of the house, I took it out of my pocket to change song and someone commented "what is that? it's huge") :frowning2:

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #28 of 32
Who cares what others think??? Really, do they hook up to the iPod and listen to the music your hearing at the same time??? It's what makes you happy, what makes you smile. You answer to yourself, not others, with the decisions you make. Use what makes you enjoy the music,...get a cheap clip+ or clip zip then,...it's so small no one will even see it.

As for the iem's you have, I've never heard them. But if you like them it's fine. If you want a warmer sound sig, upgrade.

Me, I'd get the hp's or iem's,...but that's just me. Do what makes YOU enjoy the music the most!!!:cool:

Oh, yeah, future proof. The devices we buy are obsolete the minute it's in your hand. There is no future proof - the term is now obsolete.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:
Who cares what others think??? Really, do they hook up to the iPod and listen to the music your hearing at the same time??? It's what makes you happy, what makes you smile. You answer to yourself, not others, with the decisions you make. Use what makes you enjoy the music,...get a cheap clip+ or clip zip then,...it's so small no one will even see it.
As for the iem's you have, I've never heard them. But if you like them it's fine. If you want a warmer sound sig, upgrade.
Me, I'd get the hp's or iem's,...but that's just me. Do what makes YOU enjoy the music the most!!!
cool.gif

Oh, yeah, future proof. The devices we buy are obsolete the minute it's in your hand. There is no future proof - the term is now obsolete.

You've never heard of Etymotic?! Wow, I thought it was properly respected here :S

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #30 of 32
Did you read that I stated I'd never heard of Etymotic? I said I'd never heard the iem's you have,...NOT never heard OF them.

Now, I posted a reply in your other thread - of the same title. This is my last post in either,...enjoy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back