Where does the $ go?
Nov 4, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #46 of 61
I view equipment as a conduit to music; not the other way around ( like using nothing but well regarded test cds to test your system, etc). I did finally manage to upgrade the gear recently to the tune of about 3K dollars, but have easily surpassed that on music the past few years.

Now that I am graduated from college and secure in 'career mode' I plan on spending approx. $300 - $400 on music a month. I enjoy buying, listening and talking about music. Much more so than 'gear'.

How many people spend more money on their dvd player than their dvd collection? Probably not many, I would think. (Though if they prefer to, who am I to stop them?)

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #47 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How many people spend more money on their dvd player than their dvd collection? Probably not many, I would think. (Though if they prefer to, who am I to stop them?)

People spend thousands of dollars on home theater setups, just to watch TV. You will be surprised. Home theater hobby is such a money sucking thing, since you constantly have to upgrade your gear, multichannel amps and all that other high resolution staff.
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #48 of 61
I own 100+ CD's, not to mention ones I've resold/ traded, or my (small, but growing) collection of Vinyl.

On the other end, my "rig" consists of some Shure E2c's and an iPod nano.

Let's see if we can figure this one out...

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #49 of 61
I never buy individual tracks and I buy around 5 CD's a month. (This month I already bought 19, but that's a special case.) I only actually buy gear when I find a really good deal. Without the music, the gear is worthless anyway.

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless of course you already have more music than you could possbily ever listen to in a lifetime, yet your music collection still continues to grow more quickly than you can keep up with currently (even forgetting all of the music that you couldn't keep up with from previous years) and you can afford and so desire to spend money on gear that brings infinitely more satisfaction to your ears than some sh!t system that someone else who seems to know everything thinks you ought to be listening to.

Did you stop buying books too? What about newspapers? Did you simply stop watching films after 1975?

Your post suggests that you pretty much have abandoned your interest in the heaps of new music being released in exchange for an audio gear fetish. While you fiddle with "tube rolling" and hundred-dollar-a-foot interconnects, others are exploring the newly-developed worlds of Pathogenica, online and networked compositions, and atonal blues.

Ragging on somebody's stereo system is perhaps the most immature and self-indulgent thing somebody could do at a place like this.

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #51 of 61
I spend more money on gear. Starting to spend more and more with money than i used to, but still spend more on gear.
My family have lots of good CD's, so i keep ripping albums from my uncles and aunts saving some money to spend on gear ...
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So even at 10,000 albulms, you still only have $100k invested in music. Unless you want to become a satellite Library of Congress, you don't need to invest more $ than that in music. Yet, if you have the funds available and are so inclined, you can easily spend more than $100k in gear and still not have reached a saturation point

Huh?! A $100,000 stereo system doesn't reach saturation point?! What planet is that? I would rather have a $20,000 stereo and $80,000 in music if I'm going to spend that much. But with $2 LPs, it will take me an awful long time to spend all that money on music!

Man! You seem to be doing it the hard way!

See ya
Steve

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?! A $100,000 stereo system doesn't reach saturation point?! What planet is that? I would rather have a $20,000 stereo and $80,000 in music if I'm going to spend that much. But with $2 LPs, it will take me an awful long time to spend all that money on music!

Man! You seem to be doing it the hard way!

See ya
Steve

I'm with that, the reason that I spend money on the system at the minute is in order to have a hi-fi which for years to come I will want nothing (little) from. Letting me put money down for a CD or an LP on whim and at liberty. In the meantime my library, which is beyond my means of familiarity given its size and my time atm, sees me through both in terms of favorites to listen to again and in new or forgotten albums. For every few duff albums I give audition to, I stand the chance of finding another Amarok, another A Wizard, A True Star, another Chronologie or another Mythodea.

Nov 5, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #54 of 61
I have regretted the time I've spent on this forum obsessing over which which DAC will sound best, how to configure foobar properly, etc. I have never regretted time spent listening to music. I expect that future audio expenditures will be limited to maintaining my excellent but modest system (reasonable tubes and such). It would be easy to say that one can be passionate about either equipment or music, and it's that passion that matters, not the object of it; but that is not true for me--I am simply a better, happier, and more informed and empathetic person by choosing music over audiophilia, though I have impulses toward both.

I answer with the assumption that the real question is really one of priority, not necessarily of dollar amount. Someone could have as his passion music yet spend more on equipment for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that he may want to become intimate with the albums he owns, in which case I agree that he is better off, since few of us can at once absorb a large volume of music and appreciate it to a "deep" extent. Understanding of this point will hopefully quell some of the quibbling which has already started.

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you can remember note for note what something sounded like 30 years ago? Jeebus, your memory is a helluva lot better than mine.
biggrin.gif

--Jerome

It doesnt take a genious, or a good memory, to realize one of your favorite albums sounds better than it ever has before when you make an upgrade to your system that hits a bullseye.
Also if I want to invest $20K in new amps for my stereo system.....why would anyone think that buying that gear would cut into my record buying habit? I dont know a single audiophile that doesnt own thousands and thousands of records and or CDs.
I personally own at least 800-1000 albums I have not had a chance to listen to yet. This month I picked up close to another 100 used albums. They are still in the boxes they were shipped in. When I get around to them. Its nice to know they will sound as good as I can afford for them to sound.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesnt take a genious, or a good memory, to realize one of your favorite albums sounds better than it ever has before when you make an upgrade to your system that hits a bullseye.

So you say. You're entitled to your opinion, but you haven't come close to making a persuasive argument. So I will, respectfully, disagree.

Quote:

Also if I want to invest $20K in new amps for my stereo system.....why would anyone think that buying that gear would cut into my record buying habit? I dont know a single audiophile that doesnt own thousands and thousands of records and or CDs. I personally own at least 800-1000 albums I have not had a chance to listen to yet. This month I picked up close to another 100 used albums. They are still in the boxes they were shipped in. When I get around to them. Its nice to know they will sound as good as I can afford for them to sound.

Don't know why you went on to say all of that. You're arguing about something I never said. But I did take note of how you seem to define an audiophile. I doubt we agree on that either, so there doesn't seem to be much of a point in continuing this discussion.

--Jerome

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #58 of 61
I know of a few audiophiles who don't know the first thing about music. Musical literacy has nothing to do with how many fancy black boxes one owns. It has everything to do with how many different types of music one is familiar with. I'm constantly meeting people who tell me they like "all kinds of music"... and then with a couple of questions, I realize that all they know about is a tiny sliver of current music.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back