Where does the $ go?
Oct 31, 2007 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Faust2D

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been buying a lot of gear lately, but when I settle in with my gear (my speaker rig was unchanged for 5 years with just small changes like new ICs) I will continue with my usual habit of spending my "hobby" money on music (CD, LPs, DVD). Over the years I spend much more money on media than I did on my stereo equipment. What's your spending like? Do you spend more money on gear or music?

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 61
Probably spent ~$2k total on my current system including headphones/speakers. I tend to blow $100-$200 per month on media a month though, so overall I've spent more on media, but its spread out so it doesn't seem as bad.

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 61
Gear, most definitely.
But I have no come to a point where my gear is quite up-to-date, so I can spend more on music...
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 61
Bar none, on the music. If I think roughly what I've spent on music (live and recorded) over the years, I could probably afford a reasonable dream-system (give or take $10K). Wowzers.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 61
I've already got all of Mike Oldfield. What other music is left to buy?

Well, I suppose I could try getting all of the albums again on 8-Track, Reel to Reel and Cassette.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already got all of Mike Oldfield. What other music is left to buy?

Well, I suppose I could try getting all of the albums again on 8-Track, Reel to Reel and Cassette.

Indeed...
icon10.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 61
An inexpensive source for music means that I would have to purchase an unholy amount of music before it would approach the cost of my equipment. My music money spent may never exceed the cost of my equipment...even if I never spend another cent on equipment.

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 61
So far, it's been gear. But I'll be looking to spend more money on music as my setup will be set for a least a year.

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 61
Focusing on equipment is a dead end. Focusing on music is a neverending source of satisfaction.

See ya
Steve

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Focusing on equipment is a dead end. Focusing on music is a neverending source of satisfaction.

See ya
Steve

I agree, without good music, what's the point?

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 61
i started spending lots of money on a huge music collection for many years then the gear up until now and present.

at the moment definitely gear but slowly buying more music of late though.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 61
Without the music what's the point of the gear? ....unless, I could hook up a microphone to a recording device and wear my headphones 24/7, the world would sound so good!
wink.gif

...oh X2 for bigshot and widdors

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 61
If I want to try new music, I just go to the Library.

But I have enough music where I'd rather spend it on gear now.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 61
Is there such a thing as having too much music? Not for me. There's always a million things left to listen to.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back