Where do you get your music?
Apr 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #136 of 147
It's actually very rare for me to buy music, and no, I am not implying that I am a pirate.

A lot of the artists I listen to are really cool, and they're always releasing their tracks for free. I've collected about a dozen gigs of just free stuff, by now.

I've got it easy.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #137 of 147
How it usually goes.
1. Youtube my song
2. If I like it, techno/electro/dubstep/indie from bandcamp, CD's on sale, and foreign/hard to find music I get from amazon or ebay. If it's extremely hard to find my music, I may decide to go as far as to sail the seas until I can find where to buy it. Especially music from anime's, those are hard!

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #138 of 147
Most of the time I get music from iTunes. I usually listen to it on YouTube as well, and if I like it, I'll go buy the proper version. That way I get better quality and stuff from iTunes. Sadly, it isn't in my budget right now to go out and buy full physical copies of discs. Usually I'm buying things on a song to song basis.

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #143 of 147
I buy cd's and rip them
I buy vinyl albums and play them
I download hd tracks

guess I am sucker and and spend a lot of $, but somebody has to.

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #145 of 147
I usually buy SACD and LP from Amazon, eBay and Music Direct and download HD recordings from HDTrack.

There are a limited number of titles from these sources but I find most of the MP3 tracks from other sources are of poor quality sonically.

Could someone suggest other places where I can get high-quality recordings of music?

Mar 10, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #146 of 147
Could someone suggest other places where I can get high-quality recordings of music?

I can't suggest where. But if you look around carefully enough, you'll find certain places online where you can download SACD ISOs. I don't own an SACD player, so I use a piece of software which extracts the DSD tracks from the ISO, then I use another piece of software for converting the DSD tracks into high resolution wave files.

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #147 of 147
I buy CD's - mostly used, rated VG or better, from Amazon, eBay, and Discogs.
Over the past year or so I've been finding the VG rated discs to be much better
than they were in prior years - and I attribute that to customers making noise and
docking sellers with punitive feedback - and many sellers are just going with a
VG rating rather than Like New - simply lowering expectations. And it seems to
be working.

Also, so many are just ripping to FLAC or whatever, and then putting the
disc up for sale.

And as for locating music I like, I'm subscribed to rateyourmusic.com,
allmusic.com, and various music services. I look at charts, I read comments
on sites (that are worth reading), I speak with friends and get their take,
if I like a certain producer for example, I'll look up his/her work and then
parse it through rym for example.

Also I listen to radio - WFUV here in NYC, I think is pretty good. So is
the Columbia U station 89.9, and WBGO - jazz all the time. No ads
on any of these. They all play a lot of interesting new stuff during the
overnight, when I tend to do my listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back