Where do you get your music?
Apr 2, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #122 of 147
I don't actually look for music, I kinda just stumble across all my music on tunes.io. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's a site that generates a random playlist of music every day. The tracks on there are always a mix of genres, anything from rap to classical, and 80% of the time the tracks on there are 320 bit mp3's or higher. It's weird, but I always end up liking like half the songs in the playlist, haha.  It's actually the site that got me interested in head-fi in the first place. Anyways, when I hear something I like I put in my music library in whyd. From there I listen to my ever expanding music library on the go or at home. I don't download anything so I'm pretty sure it's not illegal.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #123 of 147
I tend to look up the charts current on Sputnik musics ratings and listen to songs on youtube. If I can afford to support a band I enjoy I do and buy the album. If not, you know... Either way I tend to go around the youtube related videos a lot and do find bands and artists that I enjoy quite a bit. However most of my year favorites come out of the 100s of albums each year on Sputnik review.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #124 of 147
Quote:
Thanks for your input.  But would a 256kbps AAC sound better than a 1400kbps Wav or a Flac file? Why are we paying Apple for compressed music? I think people who care about Audio would never download anything from iTunes. If i really want to listen to something compressed I have so many other options Spotify, Pandora, Mog, Rdio etc. I pay a small fee per month for all you can eat music and can even download stuff for offline listening as long as my subscription is still valid (case in point Spotify).

256kbps AAC or WMA, or even MP3 for that matter might not sound better than 1400kbps WAV for FLAC, but it might sound identical.

Why pay for compressed music? The reason for compression is to speed up transmission and save space. I do most of my listening from a 32GB tablet with a 32GB SD expansion card, so space is still an issue. There's also expense when we're talking about going beyond CD quality. I did numerous AB tests between original CDs and the highest VBR wma files and could not tell them apart. 320 MP3 are the same. 256 CBR and lower is where it depends on the recording for my ears. Some recordings I can tell, others not. Even when I can tell at 256kbps, I have to listen very carefully to hear it. The streaming services are great for fun listening, but on the tablet you have to watch out for data charges or have access to wifi. Wifi is usually available, but not always.

Perhaps someday I'll have equipment and the ears to hear the difference, but I don't right now. 

Like I said, for my favorite artists I really like and want good archive copies of their work, I get a CD and rip it lossless or at the highest VBR wma. Sadly, many albums just aren't mastered that well from the beginning making the quest for higher quality even more futile.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #125 of 147
Downloaded or streamed for hte most part.. i wont lie .. i sometimes can barely tell the difference between youtube and flac quality.. (could be because im using my built in soundcard.. teetering between external amp/dac or to pickup a sonar stx)

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #126 of 147
Quote:
256kbps AAC or WMA, or even MP3 for that matter might not sound better than 1400kbps WAV for FLAC, but it might sound identical.

Why pay for compressed music? The reason for compression is to speed up transmission and save space. I do most of my listening from a 32GB tablet with a 32GB SD expansion card, so space is still an issue. There's also expense when we're talking about going beyond CD quality. I did numerous AB tests between original CDs and the highest VBR wma files and could not tell them apart. 320 MP3 are the same. 256 CBR and lower is where it depends on the recording for my ears. Some recordings I can tell, others not. Even when I can tell at 256kbps, I have to listen very carefully to hear it. The streaming services are great for fun listening, but on the tablet you have to watch out for data charges or have access to wifi. Wifi is usually available, but not always.

Perhaps someday I'll have equipment and the ears to hear the difference, but I don't right now. 

Like I said, for my favorite artists I really like and want good archive copies of their work, I get a CD and rip it lossless or at the highest VBR wma. Sadly, many albums just aren't mastered that well from the beginning making the quest for higher quality even more futile.

Since I have started using an external DAC I can definitely tell the difference between a compressed MP3 and Flac file. Anything below 320kbps just sounds dull and lifeless through my setup. I agree with the space issue and I have solved it by buying an external 1TB harddrive. Personally I feel that as my gear gets better I have to up the game with the source material, otherwise it is pointless spending all that money.  I have had the pleasure of listening to an album at 24/92khz, and it was an eye opening experience.  

Before getting serious with audio I ripped all my CD to 192kbps is some Apple lossy format. Well now those songs all sound really bad, and since I got rid of the CD's after moving 1 time too many I cant really go back and rip them back to lossless. Hence learning form my past mistake I now rip everything lossless. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #128 of 147
Personally I like CD's. I got ticked at itunes. And yeah, I'll be honest, i Can't tell the difference between 246 bit rate and ALAC. But my thing is, it just doesn't move the way i want it. As in It's not easy to manipulate. Hence, I've started buying all my music on CD's so I have hard back ups. Then, (actually right now) I'm havong an android mini computer shipped in so i can build the mother of all portable--or transportable depending on how you look at it--rigs. (Minix G4-->Modi-->O2, all as powered by internal batteries or 9000 mah battery pack) Thus, I will be completely independent from grid power during use.

Any way, yeah I'm with the CD crowd for the moment. In the future, I hope to expand to records as well. I've heard such great things about the lack of compression. Makes me giddy...now, if only records still went for the prices they did back when they first came out 
rolleyes.gif

Oh and my two cents on amps/dacs:

I do agree with you to some extent that there is a bit too much hype around them. I know i have a name brand solid state and can't tell it apart (actually think its worse) than my no name pro amp. The price difference? $150.

I'm not big on the whole idea of amps and dacs really changing the sound of a setup. In all honesty i think it's headphones that make a difference. Now I CAN tell the difference between cans, and thus appreciate upgrading/owning multiple pairs. 

I look to make my final upgrade to the modi and O2 and call it a day in the source department. Now headphones...those are where it really counts. Got my hands on the HD800's a few days back...I'm looking forward to being out over a grand in the near future 
wink.gif

Never judge an amp or DAC or any equipment by its price. Poor implementation happens at all price brackets. though one hopes for better when paying more.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #129 of 147
Quote:
Downloaded or streamed for hte most part.. i wont lie .. i sometimes can barely tell the difference between youtube and flac quality.. (could be because im using my built in soundcard.. teetering between external amp/dac or to pickup a sonar stx)

That's pretty surprising.

I remember being able to hear the difference between youtube quality and VBR Mp3s (which obviously are lossy) like very quickly even when i first started with my 555's. (the youtube quality was horrendous).

If you compare them one after another, u might be able to hear the differences better. (or possible you're playing a flac file that was converted from an mp3 (i.e. not really FLAC))

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #131 of 147
Quote:
Why not?
wink.gif

Wow what OS is that it looks like Ubuntu crossed with Windows 8!

I get my music from the ummm.........The Pirate Ba........HDTracks!

I thought Pirate Bay is blocked in the UK. How are you getting around that? And HDtracks wont let me download stuff as I am in England. The only place left for me in Linn records where I have to pay around £18 for a flac album.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #133 of 147
Download a lot of high-res and then a low-res for my mobile player. I also buy a ton of vinyl from my local record store.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #134 of 147
I actually still buy CDs. I go sperlunking at FYE from time to time and theres a little hole in the wall record shop not far from my hoiuse. I do have a small collection of vinyls but noting to play then with yet. Aside from that, Bandcamp has a lot of artists that give you the option for flac and HDtracks from time to time.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #135 of 147
I thought Pirate Bay is blocked in the UK. How are you getting around that? And HDtracks wont let me download stuff as I am in England. The only place left for me in Linn records where I have to pay around £18 for a flac album.

What kind of repressive regime would do that? IMHO the right to hang yourself breaking the law is what freedom is all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back