Where do you get your music?
Mar 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #91 of 147
I recently bought all 3 albums available from the Sound Liaison Label.Being very impressed with the quality of the recordings, I asked them if they could tell me a little more about  of how they achieve such great results this is the reply I got:

hi Christian

We believe that when we get the musicians to play together in the same room,with out headphones,
it creates a number of musical and technical benefits. ......

the musicians interact much more as they would do in a concert situation,
as they are not ''separated'' by the headphones,
the musicians are forced to create a musical balance,
the need for compression to control levels is no longer necessary,
we can use a minimalist microphone setup and there by reduce phase problems,
since everybody is in the same room,the boxed sound which is so common in many modern recordings is absent,

and the sound of the room helps ''glue'' the sound of the recording.

This is all very well but there are also problematic aspects to this procedure:

the room,studio,has to have a good sound
the musicians have to be very good and well prepared as
it is very difficult to repair mistakes because of the ''cross talk'' between the instruments,
we have to be very precise when choosing and placing the microphones,
and the puzzle of placing the musicians at the right distance to the main stereo microphones and the right distance to each other,is also time consuming.

and when we have a live audience in the studio,as we do with our Studio Showcase Series,
we pray that they remembered to turn of their cell phones and the ones with the bad cold chose to stay home.

The room where the recordings has been done is the now legendary Studio Eleven situated in the basement of the building of the Dutch World Broad Casting Service.
The Studio was used extensively in the 60's by European and visiting American jazz musicians(Wes Montgomery, Cannonball Adderley,Dexter Gordon,Eric Dolphy.....)
 The Dutch World Broad Casting Service asked Frans de Rond to bring the room back to life as a recording studio,and Frans after seeing and hearing the room jumped at the opportunity.
SoundLiaison has been allowed to use the room during off hours,for our audiophile project,and we are eternally great full to the Dutch World Service for the opportunity.

the equipment used for the recording of Carmen Gomes inc. is:
Microphones:
Carmen: Audix SCX25
Folker: Audio Technica 4080
Peter: JZ V67
Marcel: SE Rn17 - overheads and JZ V67 - bassdrum
Main system - Schoeps MK5 (AB)

Micpre's: RME Micstacy (Analog > MADI)
Microphone cables: Grimm Audio TPR
Speakers: Grimm Audio LS1
Master clock: Grimm Audio CC1

Power Conditioner: Shunyata Research

and for Poul Berner Band:
Microphones:
Paul: JZ V67
Michael: JZ V67
Ed: Neumann KM84
Peter: Neumann KM84
Main system - Audio Technica 4022 (AB)

Micpre's: RME Micstacy (Analog > MADI)
Microphone cables: Grimm Audio TPR
Speakers: Grimm Audio LS1
Master clock: Grimm Audio CC1
Power Conditioner: Shunyata Research

kind regards

[size=small]Peter Bjornild

[/size]

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #92 of 147
You can take the same master and have one on vinyl and one on CD and many times the CD will be more harsh.

Yes, and the same master put on a flash drive will sound flat and boxy due to being stored on flash memory.

A CD pressing is the exact copy of data that was on the mixing or mastering console. If it was harsh to begin with, it was harsh in the studio and if the vinyl copy isn't harsh, you're not hearing what the music really sounds like.

Maybe in the early days, when pre-emphasis was used and CD players weren't correctly utilizing the technology to its fullest extent, a CD might be outperformed by a vinyl in certain situations, but now? It's no contest. I have lots of high-quality vinyl rips, and those outclassed by a CD using the same master for reasons of surface noise alone.

More on this here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Pre-emphasis

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #94 of 147
Quote:

Yes, and the same master put on a flash drive will sound flat and boxy due to being stored on flash memory.

Not sure I believe that one.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #95 of 147
Itunes and Mog

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #96 of 147
Call me crazy, but I buy my music at my favorite music store in town. Yes, I commute there and browse and actually pay for a physical item :)

For the fellow Montrealers, that shop would be Aux 33 Tours

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #97 of 147
I would do this, but all I have near me is a Best Buy, and practically nothing I listen to is readily available anyway. 

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I buy my music at my favorite music store in town. Yes, I commute there and browse and actually pay for a physical item :)

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #98 of 147
Quote:
I would do this, but all I have near me is a Best Buy, and practically nothing I listen to is readily available anyway. 

I know the feeling. I'd say most towns are like that. I am lucky to live in a place with a very thriving music community and am spoiled already. I didn't always though -- I feel your pain!

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #99 of 147
Quote:

The only music store in my town has an abysmal selection and even worse pricing. So most of my music comes via Amazon. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #100 of 147
Really? You have evidence of that?

Not sure I believe that one.

devil_face.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #102 of 147
My Public library has cd's and usually modern ones, so I just rip and return :)

I'm surprise they have modern one, Im going to check this out. I don't think mine will have modern one but I'm sure I can at least find something interesting.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #103 of 147
Quote:

That will be your problem, not the CD.

Well I have listening to music through stereo Hi Fi's since the late 70s.  
Vinyl LPs were surpassed by CDs in every single respect from when CDs first arrived.

Well, I guess I've been told! :)  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.  Comes down to whatever turns your crank right?

Sorry I started down this line everyone. My bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back