Where do you get YOUR music?
Jul 12, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
Another source is Barnes and Noble, we belong to their frequent reader program and get a discount on everything purchased there. It pays for itself many times over during the year.

http://barnesandnoble.com/

I can recommend this, too. It is very helpful and not that expensive. In Indiana, it essentially means tax-free shopping, plus a little discount. If you spend enough there, it certainly is a worthwhile investment.

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #47 of 67
eBay.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
eBay.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Really? I find eBay very frustrating for music. For CDs everyone wants like $4-5 for shipping so the total price for a used CD gets to $10 very easily. At that price, I'll buy new online or used in a store.

Jul 12, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #49 of 67
I generally buy my CDs at Circuit City. They usually sell for a dollar less than at Best Buy.

If it's a hard to find album I'll go to Tower Records but man they really stick it to you on price.

Jul 12, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #50 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
If it's a hard to find album I'll go to Tower Records but man they really stick it to you on price.

Man I had a really negative experience at Tower Records over the weekend with your stereotypical pompous, sneering record store clerk/assistant manager/whatever. I found Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robot in the $7.99 bin but when the cashier scanned it it rang up as $14.99 or whatever. I told the guy that I picked it up in the $7.99 bin and he gave me some story about how it has no sticker so there's no discount. I told him that none of the CDs had stickers and gave me this, "Yeah...and?" Then he launched into this very patronizing explanation about how "the sticker and the bin don't mean the discount, the computer means the discount" in a really snotty way.

Anyway, I'd buy it in the store for $7.99 but not $14.99 when I can get it at yourmusic. I understand that it's not Tower's fault if someone picked something up and dropped it off in the wrong bin, but that's why stickers exist. It's embarrassing to be in line at the store and have to argue with the "manager" and then not take a disc you wanted. How am I supposed to know that disc didn't belong there? Whatever, all of that would have been annoying but understandable had the guy not been this surly, overweight obnoxious archetype of a record store clerk.

Sorry for the OT, had to get that off my chest.

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #51 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Sorry for the OT, had to get that off my chest.

Quite understandable.
600smile.gif

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! I'll definately do some research and see which I like the best!

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #52 of 67
Any recommendations to buy CDs online in Canada?
I currently use amazon.ca and chapters.indigo.ca. I use yesasia.com for J-Pop. I hear bestbuy.ca is good. I'm just looking for any alternatives that have free shipping to Canada as well. is allofmp3 a good place if I want FLAC? How long does it take to download a full FLAC album at around 150 kiloBYTES /s broadband? How much does the same cost?

May 3, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #55 of 67
I get mine from either amazon marketplace (jascha heifetz, menuhin, etc) Tower records, Barnes and Noble... Best Buy's classical music is limited and the classical CDs are expensive. Barnes and Noble has a large selection but pretty expensive. Tower Records is nice but its all the way in cambridge so I don't go there as much.

May 5, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #57 of 67
Mostly I get mine from ebay (hard to find stuff), amazon, everyday music store (in town) or yourmusic.com

May 5, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #58 of 67
I try to buy as much as possible from Soundsations- a friendly little indie store just north of LAX in Los Angeles. The staff is always playing something good, they have a decent used collection and new discs average $11 to $13. I really like that place, and it's close by.

I don't get there very often, but I also love Amoeba Music. Great place. And when I lived in Oregon, I went to Music Millennium in Portland as often as possible. Love that place.

For online, I try to buy directly from bands, if possible. I'd much rather order from them. If not, I browse Amazon and get the hard-to-find on eBay. Not the cheapest options, but the money usually goes to independents.

May 5, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #60 of 67
I grew an album tree in my back yard . . . . can sell you some seeds if you are interested
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

YourMusic.com (limited selection, great price)
Amazon.com (some good deal on 'used' CD's)
Local Pawn Shop ($2 - $4 per CD, plus you can sell them back)
SALE! - anyplace you see this sign

Users who are viewing this thread

Back