Where do you get YOUR music?
Jul 7, 2005 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Xiode

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so I just forked out $340 for the home setup in my sig, my first audiophile setup. Now I'm wondering where I should get my music. I'm really new to the whole "album" concept, as I had been downloading single songs before.

Where does everyone get their albums? Download? Order online? Buy in a store? Post where you get yours!

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 67
You will be so much happier once you get into albums. I enjoy the music so much more now that I listen to whole albums all the way through. To listen to singles for an hour seems so schizophrenic now.

Anyway, I like Amazon with the free Super Saver shipping. I also like to check out the bargain bins and used cds at local record stores. Also, people say really good things about BMG's Yourmusic.com. I wouldn't make a habit out of downloading albums online - if I'm going to pay for it, I want the full resolution and artwork, etc.

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 67
Older stuff you can usually pick up cheap (under $6) at used record stores or on the Amazon market place.

New stuff I always buy at Best Buy, I've purchased new cd's there during the week of release for as low as $6.99 and never paid more than $11.99. You may get it cheaper online somewhere but I don't like waiting personally.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
You will be so much happier once you get into albums. I enjoy the music so much more now that I listen to whole albums all the way through. To listen to singles for an hour seems so schizophrenic now.

Anyway, I like Amazon with the free Super Saver shipping. I also like to check out the bargain bins and used cds at local record stores. Also, people say really good things about BMG's Yourmusic.com. I wouldn't make a habit out of downloading albums online - if I'm going to pay for it, I want the full resolution and artwork, etc.

Yeah, I have 23 of my newer favorites that I downloaded, that are playing in a circle. They are cool, but get boring after listening to the continuously for like 16 hours.
600smile.gif

I've never really bought/owned many CD's in my whole life (which isn't that long, considering I'm only 15
smily_headphones1.gif
). Thus far, like I said, I've been downloading popular singles. However, those few albums I did own, I enjoyed listening to the WHOLE thing. Particularly, I bought Sugar Ray - Flared from a garage sale in like 3rd grade, and I still love that album (although now I'm realizing I might not have been old enough for it then, if you listen to #10 - Cash
biggrin.gif
).

What do you guys think of Allofmp3.com? I just recently started buying music there. I particularly like downloading at 320kbps for around 15 cents a song. I'll check out Yourmusic.com later, right now they're working on it and it's down.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 67
where to get your music? Well at yourmusic.com of course! $5.99/CD shipping included...
Not the widest selection unfortunately...
If you are a classical music fan, know what you like, and like rummaging up, berkshirerecordoutlet.com is a great source of bargain and out-of-print records

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode
Where does everyone get their albums? Download? Order online? Buy in a store? Post where you get yours!

I would recommend against buying albums online. You limit yourself to using your computer/DAP as a source, run the risk of loss of data, and are stuck with compressed audio. Compression is often times appropriate, but I would prefer to do the compression myself (i.e. rip/encode my CDs).

I personally always buy my CDs at my local independent record store. Music usually costs a few dollars more, but I think it is well worth it. The selection is great and the overall shopping experience is much more enjoyable. The staff is generally more in the music "know" and can help you find what you are looking for or make helpful recommendations based on the music you like. The store I go to also has a great used music selection, which is very nice for finding albums that are rare or no longer in circulation. Most independent record stores also have some sort of "punch card" system where you get a free CD after buying X number of albums. I personally buy enough music to have the free CD from the punch card mitigate the cost of shopping at the independent.

Don't get me wrong -- Best Buy and Amazon.com have their place and come in handy sometimes, but overall I just prefer to walk into a shop that is devoted to selling music.

Edit: to clarify my first paragraph about buying online: I meant buying albums in MP3 or some compressed format online.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedminusn
I would recommend against buying albums online. You limit yourself to using your computer/DAP as a source, run the risk of loss of data, and are stuck with compressed audio. Compression is often times appropriate, but I would prefer to do the compression myself (i.e. rip/encode my CDs).

Couldn't you burn them onto CD's?
smily_headphones1.gif

What software do you use to do the compression with?

I would definately like to buy albums, but I'm going to need to find them dirt cheap, at least at the moment. Zemo was nice enough to just let me give him what I had, and pay the rest later. I'm kind of still in the hole.
eek.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 67
Here, here for www.yourmusic.com as suggested above by sedminusn. This is the perfect "first stop" place to visit when backfilling your collection.

Also, quite good (and reasonable prices, believe it or not) is www.sonymusicstore.com

Of course, there ie eBay, half.com, amazon, deepdiscountcd, and a bunch more.

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 67
Amazon.com here, although they seemed to have slowed down a bit lately (but still get here 5-10 days before estimated)
rolleyes.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 67
Amazon sellers - used (great deals to be had), especially Caiman.com
Acoustic Sounds - Audiophile vinyl and SACDs
Arkiv Music - Classical

Local used vinyl store - Used LPs
Borders - good classical selection, stuff is often on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back