Where Do You Get Your Music From?
Apr 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 50
Amazon, iTunes, thrift shops. I love hunting in thrift shops for music. I usually go for vinyl, cds, and cassettes. It's great, because with cassettes, they're often like a quarter. So I grab basically like as much as I can that looks interesting.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #18 of 50
Amazon and iTunes are the only places I get my music from.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Apr 25, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #19 of 50
Most of my music (around 70-80%) is purchased CD - then ripped to FLAC for home listening set-up, and then converted to AAC256 for portable (FTR - I've done extensive ABX testing, and I cannot tell the difference reliably between 256AAC and lossless - when both encoded properly).

Other 20-30% has been purchased on-line.  Most from either HD Tracks or Bandcamp, but sometimes direct from the artists / their agents (eg Porcupine Tree uses burningshed.com).

I have maybe 3-4 albums from iTunes simply because I couldn't find the CD anywhere else - still looking though :wink:

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #20 of 50
I would say 99% of my music is purchased on CD from a small independent record/cd store in town.  I pay a bit more buying from him but I really miss all the traditional brick and mortar stores closing (nothing like thumbing through a collection of cds).  There are things he just can't get me and for those I will trying going to the artist direct and if not available through the artist fall back to Amazon.  I have purchased a few items on HD Tracks and a few more on iTunes (although I try to avoid buying on iTunes as much as possible).

What's I like about the record store is the sense of community.  I can go down to the store and I can talk to the owner and maybe some other passionate customers about music and we feed off each other.  We talk about what we like and don't like and we can bounce ideas and recommendations off each other.  It's great and you just don't get the same sense of community on line.  It's funny though as we talk about this stuff we will often pop onto Amazon or iTunes and listen to a clip.  If we like we have the owner order in the cd.  It's great.

Darcy 

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #22 of 50
I buy the actual CD, usually from Amazon or Elusive Disc (for XRCD/SACD).
However, The best quality music available at the moment is from AIX Records or their download service iTrax . These two are where you'll find (IMH and not very educated O) the very best recordings available anywhere on this blessed earth.  Try them, you'll be very pleased you did. (My reference tracks from there are. 1. Carl Verheyen Band Rumor Mill. 2. Laurence Juber guitar Noir 3. Ernest Ranglin Order of Distinction.)

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #23 of 50
Most of my music I buy in "Used - Like New" condition on Amazon - you know, the ones that are a penny + $2.99 shipping and the like.  

Online, my two more trusted sources are Rachmaninov and Whatever - I use them to test out box sets to hear if the quality of the master etc is up to snuff before purchasing the hard copy.  

X2 on buying used from amazon. The deals are really good on most CDs if you don't mind a scratched/cracked case every now and again.

May 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #26 of 50
I like Usenet, especially for obscure stuff and bootlegs. I also buy a lot of used CDs at a local record store. Never bought any used CDs online, I'll have to look into that.

May 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #27 of 50
Amazon has been kicking butt lately, but maybe it's just my choices.

Hardcopies for the win.  
beerchug.gif

May 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #28 of 50
You know, I bought a few songs off a Dexter Gordon album from Amazon about a week or so ago, and there's distortion all over the drums. It's only the drums it seems, and it's not on the youtube audio of the one track. Sorry about being off topic, but the previous post about Amazon reminded me of my disappointment. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back