Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones?
Sep 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #181 of 195
Quote:
Quote:
No way, IMO the HD800 are far superior that the ED10. They are the best in soundstage presentation of all dynamic headphones IMO and clearly NO VEIL. I have mine with an OCC Copper cable and replaced the internal connection wire between the connector and the driver with also the same OCC Copper. IMO sound magnificent. They are my favorite open dynamic headphones.

Copper wire on the hd800s?!?!? That's almost an insult to the headphones considering they already have an occ silver over occ copper core wire.  From what I understand of sennheiser you need to bring out the highs and improve clarity not diminish it.  I'd use copper to dim brightness and enhance the midrange. I mean absolutely no offense by the way.  This is all MY opinion.

To my knowledge the HD800 cable is not OCC Silver over OCC Copper but a common Silver Plated Copper cable.
To my hears it did made HD800 a little harsh and bright at the top so the WireWorld OCC Copper cable really smooth them out and improved the midrange and bass.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #182 of 195
To my knowledge the HD800 cable is not OCC Silver over OCC Copper but a common Silver Plated Copper cable.
To my hears it did made HD800 a little harsh and bright at the top so the WireWorld OCC Copper cable really smooth them out and improved the midrange and bass.

I've been demoing a pair of HD 800s and I must say that I am impressed. They just sound great. Nothing really sticks out to me except the soundstage,which I thought would ruin any "faster" music like the HD 650s seem to do, but they keep the music interesting.
It's too early in my demo for a true comparison but my initial impression is that the HD 800s are a great can for anyone looking for neutrality and an analytical experience. However they are extremely picky, it took me three sets of tubes to find a great match, and as of now I'm saying that the Ed 10s are superior.

The edition 10s just have more personality and don't seem as generic as the HD 800s. While wearing the HD 800s I feel safe and sure when it comes to listening experience. With the Ed 10 s I feel very unsafe and at the mercy of whatever song happens to be playing.

Quick shout out to the LCD 3s as well. They're stunning.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #183 of 195
Quote:
The edition 10s just have more personality and don't seem as generic as the HD 800s. While wearing the HD 800s I feel safe and sure when it comes to listening experience. With the Ed 10 s I feel very unsafe and at the mercy of whatever song happens to be playing.

You must have a exceptional set, because to me, the ED10 does not even remotely resemble a high end headphone as regards to sound quality.
The pair I heard were excessively bright and sibilant to an extreme.

As far as price is concerned, I would not even buy one with the last digit knocked off the price and that figure halved.
Heck, I wouldn't even take one if someone offered it to me for free.
The only use I could ever find for one is to serve as a bad example, and I don't want to go there.

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #184 of 195
You must have a exceptional set, because to me, the ED10 does not even remotely resemble a high end headphone as regards to sound quality.
The pair I heard were excessively bright and sibilant to an extreme.

As far as price is concerned, I would not even buy one with the last digit knocked off the price and that figure halved.
Heck, I wouldn't even take one if someone offered it to me for free.
The only use I could ever find for one is to serve as a bad example, and I don't want to go there.

Ouch.. Can you spit some more venom? I don't think you killed the edition 10s yet.

Everyone has their opinions. I however truely enjoy them and don't find them to be nearly as "bright" as my sig pros and I've yet to have a sibilance issue. Granted my ears are ruined from serving in the military which is probably skewing my perspective. As I've already discussed at length.

I'd love to have someone demo my Ed 10s because I still prefer them over any other can. As of right now I mean of course :cool:

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #185 of 195
BTW, anyone wishing to give me their ED10's for free, don't bother. Don't want 'em under any circumstances.

If you really want to get rid of them, contact spritzer.

I believe he has the perfect upgrade for them to turn them into the masterpiece they should have been.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #186 of 195
Quote:
BTW, anyone wishing to give me their ED10's for free, don't bother. Don't want 'em under any circumstances.

If you really want to get rid of them, contact spritzer.

I believe he has the perfect upgrade for them to turn them into the masterpiece they should have been.

Sounds like someone needs a nap

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #190 of 195
10 bucks says it involves SR-Gamma drivers (if there are even any left in the universe)

I've seen them out there but you'd have to sacrifice the headphone. I am actually very interested now.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #192 of 195
It'd be interesting to put Symphones drivers in them actually. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #193 of 195
A pure ribbon is a massive PITA to deal with as no amp will drive them (this size it would be 100mOhm or so) so it's either transformers with all the drawbacks or something like the Stax X2 which can drive a short circuit.  The driver size would also pose a massive problem as ribbons are bulky by nature. 

I'm also not sold on ribbons in general but that's another matter. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #194 of 195
I reckon a Sennheiser HD414 would be a definite improvement.
Both in it's standard form, or with the drivers transplanted in the ED shells.

My only misgivings about my take on the ED10 is that I heard a substandard sample.
The problem then becomes one of quality control.
How could a company release such a terrible sample of their flagship offering.

Either way, it's massive brickbats to Ultrasone.
Perhaps a name change is in order:-        "ULTRABAD".

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #195 of 195
You guys are Crazy with the capital C I put on the front of the word!!!
These Edition 10s are F@#$ing amazing. Hands down the most exciting headphone I've ever heard.  I'm going to go ahead and question your musical tastes to begin with which is prob boring music from boring "so called artists" who can't actually play any instruments or bring any imagination to their music. 
I'm also going to assume that you think "art deco" is a viable art form and picasso was a good artist.  

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back