Where do the Ultrasone Edition 10 fit in to the ranking of high end headphones?
Feb 4, 2011 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 195

jamato8

Headphoneus Supremus
With the advent of the Ultrasone Ed. 10 flagship, it seemed a new top phone was on the horizon. Then there was the apparent mishap with pads that were constructed of the wrong material, which had a deleterious impact on the sound with new pads that appear to have gone a long ways in alleviating the strange frequency response.  There appears to be a growing consensus that with the new pads, or Ed. 10's shipped with the correct pads, are phones worth listening to. 

So, as time goes by, where do the Ultrasone Ed. 10 fit in? Are they among the very best of known headphones? 

Images from Ultrasone with the contrast bumped a little to give them more snap. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 195
When I get my "corrected" pair, I will offer my opinion on this, for what it's worth. Not sure when that will be, though.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 195
I look forward to that. There don't seem to be many opinions arising at this time, which surprises me some. Granted there aren't many out there but there are a few and ones with the correct ear pads. Even if I never buy any, which I had intended to do, I think many would like to know where this new kid on the block resides. You think?

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 195
I am reluctant to say that Edition 10 will be the very best of high-end headphones. However, I believe that it can compete well with other high-end flagship headphones that are currently in production. I won't be able to write a full-review on them but when the time comes more people will get these puppies on their hand and write very positive reviews. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 195

Quote:
I look forward to that. There don't seem to be many opinions arising at this time, which surprises me some. Granted there aren't many out there but there are a few and ones with the correct ear pads. Even if I never buy any, which I had intended to do, I think many would like to know where this new kid on the block resides. You think?

I think the apparent lack of interest is caused by extra cost of the ED10's compared to other flagships as well as most owners of other high end phones being satisfied with there current setup. And also, most head-fiers either don't have enough spare change to throw around or don't see the value of high end phones so they don't bother looking much into them.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 195

Quote:
Quote:

I think the apparent lack of interest is caused by extra cost of the ED10's compared to other flagships as well as most owners of other high end phones being satisfied with there current setup. And also, most head-fiers either don't have enough spare change to throw around or don't see the value of high end phones so they don't bother looking much into them.

Ok, but what if, a big "if" they were in the same league as the R10's and available for 2000 to 2600, which seems to be the price range, right now. If they could compete in that high echelon, it would seem they would generate some real interest. How many wouldn't love to have the sound of one of the very best. While the R10 is not to everyone's liking, it still seems to be a reference point for dynamic phones, closed or open. I guess the point is, will it be or is it one of the best or the of the best?

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 195

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, but what if, a big "if" they were in the same league as the R10's and available for 2000 to 2600, which seems to be the price range, right now. If they could compete in that high echelon, it would seem they would generate some real interest. How many wouldn't love to have the sound of one of the very best. While the R10 is not to everyone's liking, it still seems to be a reference point for dynamic phones, closed or open. I guess the point is, will it be or is it one of the best or the of the best?

nobody knows at this point, or if somebody does, they aren't saying much. the chances of a person hearing both the R10 and the edition 10's are very unlikely. but personally, I feel like the edition 10 is based more on the exclusive materials and looks/status than how they sound (there is no doubt they sound good, but most of the talk is about how they look)

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 195

Quote:
nobody knows at this point, or if somebody does, they aren't saying much. the chances of a person hearing both the R10 and the edition 10's are very unlikely. but personally, I feel like the edition 10 is based more on the exclusive materials and looks/status than how they sound (there is no doubt they sound good, but most of the talk is about how they look)

I normally say the same thing within this short a time span but on something like this, at this price point, it would not surprise me that someone with the R10's would also have purchased this and to have already done so. If they were lucky and got the R10's in the 2000 range, then putting out another 2000 to 2600 would add up but many have paid more in the high 3000 to 6000 range so this might be a nice fit in the stable. With that in mind, if someone is looking for some of the best in sound, or bragging rights but I tend to think the former in most cases, the possibilities of the Ed. 10 would be enticing. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 195

Quote:
Quote:

I normally say the same thing within this short a time span but on something like this, at this price point, it would not surprise me that someone with the R10's would also have purchased this and to have already done so. If they were lucky and got the R10's in the 2000 range, then putting out another 2000 to 2600 would add up but many have paid more in the high 3000 to 6000 range so this might be a nice fit in the stable. With that in mind, if someone is looking for some of the best in sound, or bragging rights but I tend to think the former in most cases, the possibilities of the Ed. 10 would be enticing. 

but I doubt many original owners of R10's still have there original phones, upgraditis strikes even those on the highest tier

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 195

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

but I doubt many original owners of R10's still have there original phones, upgraditis strikes even those on the highest tier

That is why I mentioned the high 3 to 6 thousand dollar range because those would most likely be purchasers after the original sale as in purchased on the used market. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 195

Quote:

I will be able to compare the R10 and the Ed 10, when I get my new Ed 10.  Not sure when that will be at this point, though.  Waiting for more stock to come to the US...

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 195

Quote:
That is why I mentioned the high 3 to 6 thousand dollar range because those would most likely be purchasers after the original sale as in purchased on the used market. 

If 6kUSD is still in the range, then I can very certainly say the Edition 10, regardless of its current status, will be dethroned by the Stax C32 when it gets released this spring or summer, at least if we're to judge the headphones by their technical abilities / overall performance. Having listened to the Edition 10 (might have been the wrong pads, but surprising given it was the worldwide launch event ....... ) right after the C32, there is no contest IMO.

Now, in regards to owners being quiet, it's understandable. After all, the Edition 10 was claimed as the best thing since sliced bread before it got severely downgraded due to the pad issue. It takes some time to build up confidence again :wink:.

Besides, isn't it a moot point to ask this question? After all, the Edition 10 are no different than other Ultrasone limited edition series: it has very clear sonic character of its own that some appreciate and others will absolutely hate. On the technical side, I have no doubt the C32 will be a much more accurate phone. Now, as far as people's taste, I will not be surprised however that some out there might prefer the Edition 10...

arnaud

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 195
I will have the chance to compare the ed10 to the lCD-2 in a few weeks or so along with the HE-6, T1, HD800, ED9, and RS-1's on multiple, quality amps such as a fully upgraded Woo WA5 LE and others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back