Where do I go next?
Apr 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DeLuX

100+ Head-Fier
So yeah I've not been an all to active member here (you guys are kind of intimadating with your jargon
wink_face.gif
), though I read post and threads every day, at length... Im not new to the world of audio or that of headphones, but I seek your assistance.

I exclusively listen to trance/edm but this does not mean Im a basshead, I seek a "full" sound with plenty of detail and good soundstage. My listening source is (FLAC/320) my computer with the xonar stx, connected (line out) to a Maverick audio  A1, but most of the time I prefer my computer hooked up to an Aune T1 DAC/Amp.

I used to be all about the HD 650's, which I stil own, but nowdays I find them to distantant and not engaging enough. So I got the DT 770 Pro 80ohm which i absolutely love! These are my go-to-headphones. Later I allso got the M-50's which didnt impress me at all, I hear nothing with the M-50's that I prefer over that of the 770's. Im not saying the M-50's are bad, but I dont realy get the hype. They feel realy closed and a bit muddy to me. My prefered earbuds are the somewhat obscure TDK BA-200, I allso have some Shures (2/3-10) and what not.

Now since Im a member of head-fi, of course, I want to "upgrade" so what should I get? I have a shortlist of phones im pondering:

Hifiman HE-400
AKG K550
German Maestro GMP 8.300
Ultrasone HFI 580/680

CosmicEars BA-4/HY-5 (different topic all together im sure)

Im pretty set on getting the HiFiman's and a pair of Cosmic Ears. Am I going in the right direction? do you have any other suggestions? Please give me your input!

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 6
The Hifimans would be a great step into end-game headphone territory. Just remember they're open-back and leak like a sieve. (but out of those mentioned would be my recommendation). 

Yesterday I auditioned the K550 again, and loved how polite/relaxed but full the sound was. Also at $220 they're at a pretty good value for money. 

Very few on headfi know anything about German Maestro headphones. Even in Germany I've never even seen any in hifi shops. 
confused.gif

Opinions on Ultrasones are quite polarized - most people either love them or hate them. I'm part of the latter camp. Most of them have a bass sound that is almost like a thick warm blanket of lush sound on your ears - it's quite unique and possibly 'special' but I found it unnatural. For electronic music it adds a very lush sound (although artificial) which you may prefer over a clean, tight and honest bass.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 6
I'm going to recommend the Ultrasones to you, sub-bass is so important to EDM and the Ultrasones will deliver what you seek, without being a "basshead".

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 6
The German Maestro you mention are a no-go. They clamp like hell and they are uncomfortable, but indestructible.

I would recommend the HE-400. They don't have what I would consider an accurate tonality at all, but if it is for EDM and the like, I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

About the ultrasones I own the hfi-780. They do have a cramped but fairly deep sound stage, as has the hfi-680. Else I can't really say much on how they perform with EDM.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Hmm im realy curious about the ultrasone sound signature, opinions seem very different. I might have to get a pair (can always return them within 2 weeks for a full refund if i dont like them)

However you guys all seem to think the HE 400 is a good choice so im gonna go ahead and pul the trigger asap. Thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back