Where Do I Buy A HAWT Cmoy Kit?
Mar 26, 2008 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AudioSmurf93

Head-Fier
Instead of scavenging for parts, I'd like to buy the needed pieces for a CMoy in Kit form...

I'd like to build a pretty hawt one, as quality sounding as possible. (For a cmoy..pshh lol)

XD Would appreciate if this included a PCB!

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 13
glass jar audio i think does kits if you e-mail jeff.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 13
I put together a Cmoy kit for Head-Fi member Trialanderror using components specified in Tangent's Cmoy Portable Headphone Amplifier tutorial (Audiologica). The kit did not contain a housing, only the components needed to build the Cmoy circuitry. These parts are left over from several Cmoy builds I made over the past three months. The components will produce a Cmoy with a gain of 11, and uses larger capacitors for better bass handling as addressed in one of Tangent's tutorials on amp building. Most of the resistors would be Vishay-Dale, if that matters. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put together a Cmoy kit for Head-Fi member Trialanderror using components specified in Tangent's Cmoy Portable Headphone Amplifier tutorial (Audiologica). The kit did not contain a housing, only the components needed to build the Cmoy circuitry. These parts are left over from several Cmoy builds I made over the past three months. The components will produce a Cmoy with a gain of 11, and uses larger capacitors for better bass handling as addressed in one of Tangent's tutorials on amp building. Most of the resistors would be Vishay-Dale, if that matters. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.

YGPM

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try JDS Labs for a PCB and documentation.

it looks like he makes a fine cMoy, but some of Mr. Seaber's commentary glorifying his cMoyBB v2 is pretty funny, and sometimes ridiculous (it's still just a cMoy, after all). for instance, "The amp utilizes a heavy duty 9V battery connector with hand-twisted wires" ...yeah... i hate the extra interference that machine-twisted wires cause in an amp. sure, you save yourself 2 long seconds of twisting, but at what cost? AT WHAT COST?

all kidding aside, although JDS Labs' cMoy looks like a nicely put together amp, it doesn't look like he offers kits on his website, so it his offerings might not accomodate what AudioSmurf93 is looking for. Zigis has already responded re: his own kit, and the other forum member who i know has had his own cMoy PCBs made is Joshatdot. why not go ahead and support a fellow forum member, AudioSmurf?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 13
True regarding some of his hype on his website (like this place isn't already awash in that these days
rolleyes.gif
). But, his Cmoy has the following that is not available anywhere else in one package:
  • Bass boost
  • Auto on when phones inserted
  • Nicely done board with rounded corners for proper fit
  • Full BOM (PN, vendor), so really how hard is it to get the parts
Of the boards I've looked at (and designed), his is the one I would go with.

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xmokshax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it looks like he makes a fine cMoy, but some of Mr. Seaber's commentary glorifying his cMoyBB v2 is pretty funny, and sometimes ridiculous (it's still just a cMoy, after all). for instance, "The amp utilizes a heavy duty 9V battery connector with hand-twisted wires" ...yeah... i hate the extra interference that machine-twisted wires cause in an amp. sure, you save yourself 2 long seconds of twisting, but at what cost? AT WHAT COST?

all kidding aside, although JDS Labs' cMoy looks like a nicely put together amp, it doesn't look like he offers kits on his website, so it his offerings might not accomodate what AudioSmurf93 is looking for. Zigis has already responded re: his own kit, and the other forum member who i know has had his own cMoy PCBs made is Joshatdot. why not go ahead and support a fellow forum member, AudioSmurf?
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe, I completely agree with you guys. The site was originally copied and pasted from my eBay ads, which were written to compete with another eBay seller over-glorifying his cMoys. I hope to get around to re-writing the site at the end of May. Someone send me a PM/e-mail if I haven't kept my word by the end of the year. For now, I've redirected the homepage to the news section, which shouldn't read like a late-night infomercial.

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 13
just my opinion, but much of what makes something you built "awesome" is that you did it yourself, and part of that process is choosing and sourcing the components. ultimately, and particularly with something as simple as a cmoy, this is all that imbues it with it's own "awesomeness", in that it is unique to you.

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly would the difference be between a normal cmoy and "hawt" cmoy?

You have to buy it from some guy driving a white van.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back