Where can I find a good teflon wire stripper?
May 5, 2005 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

IEATTEFLON

100+ Head-Fier
I've searched a bit and I kept getting mixed results from each individual. Whats a relatively inexpensive ($50-100?) wire stripper that can easily and cleanly strip 24-26 guage teflon wire? I tried 2 of the recommended types and all it did was stretch out the teflon or nick a few strands of the wire. It's very tedious but so far I found using sharp nail clippers or my exacto blade works best.

May 5, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 18
I use regular $10 wire strippers. the ones with the red handles. I clamp the stripper onto the wire and twist it around the jacket a bit and at an angle just flick off.

May 5, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 18
Teeth, the best and most universal wire stripper money cannot buy
biggrin.gif

Teflon is a right pita, I've given up with the (cheap) strippers I have!

May 5, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 18
Pocket knife. Not only greatest wire stipper ever made, but medically better then teeth (tooth aches are worse then a cut in the thumb). Plus your investment goes further because they have bottle openers too so you don't need to use your screwdriver to get beercaps off
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 18
There has to be a better option short of buying one of those multi thousand dollar machines that melt the insulation off. Right now I have sore thumbs from trying to strip a bunch of wires. GAH!
eggosmile.gif

May 5, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 18
I use cheap ones that come with those basic tool kits. I just modify them a little. I take a pc board standoff and screw and replace the screw and nut that comes with the cheap one. That way the handle has something substantial to bite down on without flexing. Then I just strip a little wire at a time and adjust the screw up or down the handle until it's perfect. I then lock it down good and tight. It strips teflon with ease and no wire nicks.

I always dismissed the cheap ones because the screw always slipped. Eventually I will get one of those adjustable no nick strippers ($35 - $50) I just did this as a temp solution

May 5, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 18
I use a GB brand wire stripper I bought from Lowe's (I can't find a picture. Has a read and black handle). It was around $24.00. It's great. It's made so that it won't nick any wires when stripping and does excellent with Teflon as well as any other insulation I have tried it with.

EDIT: I'm sorry. The stripper that I use are GB Eletrical model #GESP-70 and can be purchased a Lowe's stores for about 25.00.

May 5, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 18
Ideal T-Stripper. Any of the electronics distributors have them, any local electrical supply house might, and Home Depot (I think) carries them.

May 5, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I use regular $10 wire strippers. the ones with the red handles. I clamp the stripper onto the wire and twist it around the jacket a bit and at an angle just flick off.

Same, did a bunch of teflon coated silver/copper for my mint yesterday, and it took the teflon right off. With these strippers, it is all in the technique. Just experiment a while, you will get it.

May 5, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 18
I use a CRKT combo blade pocketknife (whichever one I have in my pocket at the time, I have a bunch, I love their knives)...

May 5, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I use a CRKT combo blade pocketknife (whichever one I have in my pocket at the time, I have a bunch, I love their knives)...

Their Van Hoy Model is awsome. A really unique knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back