Where can I buy a good quality coiled cable for a recable?
Jun 19, 2008 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Muftobration

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to do a recable on my HFI-700 and would like the cable to be coiled. I have tried coiling the stock cable myself three times, but it starts to come undone after a while every time. Could someone please tell me where I can get one? Thank you.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 12
If you want, I can send you my coiled Ultrasone Proline 750 cable.

I don't think any "audiophile" cables are coiled.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 12
EDIT: I thought you meant just regular. I suppose you can train the wire to be spooled or coiled.

Mogami for sure... it's good stuff too. There's quite a few DIY wire out there, and this is one of the better one's.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the offer, Fallen Angel, but I want to go with something either black or clear. I was afraid that there would be no good cables that come pre-coiled. I like coiled cables because they are long when you need them to be, but they don't get in the way when you don't want them long.

Nick, what type of Mogami cable would be good? I see that they sell a quad microphone cable. Is that what people usually use for recabling? Sorry, I have not recabled before, but I have made interconnectors a few times.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muftobration /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the offer, Fallen Angel, but I want to go with something either black or clear. I was afraid that there would be no good cables that come pre-coiled. I like coiled cables because they are long when you need them to be, but they don't get in the way when you don't want them long.

Nick, what type of Mogami cable would be good? I see that they sell a quad microphone cable. Is that what people usually use for recabling? Sorry, I have not recabled before, but I have made interconnectors a few times.

I know Mogami has proven performance around here, and many DIY'ers will tell you that their cable means quality.

I would make a post in the DIY section, as I know nothing specific about each cable. I heard a pair of IC's from Mogami and I liked what I heard.

If worst came to worst, you could get a thick stick/rod, like something for vegetables, and train the cable to be coiled, and somehow clip the ends to the rod so it starts to coil. I don't know how efficient this is, but it's worth a try.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks, Nick. I'll go make that thread.

When I tried to coil my cable the first time, I used a thin rod and a hair dryer. I wrapped the cable around the rod and heated it with the hair dryer, but that didn't last, so I tried it again with a heat gun. That lasted a bit longer, but came out again. This final time, I used the heat gun almost to the point of melting the cable's outer housing and then let it sit until it reached room temperature. Then, I unwrapped it the next day and did not use it for a few days, just to let it stay coiled. Now, I'm using it, but it is already coming uncoiled. It stays more or less coiled, but not tight like a cable you can buy.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muftobration /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Nick. I'll go make that thread.

When I tried to coil my cable the first time, I used a thin rod and a hair dryer. I wrapped the cable around the rod and heated it with the hair dryer, but that didn't last, so I tried it again with a heat gun. That lasted a bit longer, but came out again. This final time, I used the heat gun almost to the point of melting the cable's outer housing and then let it sit until it reached room temperature. Then, I unwrapped it the next day and did not use it for a few days, just to let it stay coiled. Now, I'm using it, but it is already coming uncoiled. It stays more or less coiled, but not tight like a cable you can buy.

There's got to be a technique to use. I know these DIY'ers are pretty creative.

Good luck...

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 12
Hi guys. I am searching for a coiled 3.5 to 3.5 jack cable. The idea was to substitute the stock one of my headphones. I just love this kind of cable but it's hard to find one online (like on Amazon). Do you have any suggestion? Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 12
  Hi guys. I am searching for a coiled 3.5 to 3.5 jack cable. The idea was to substitute the stock one of my headphones. I just love this kind of cable but it's hard to find one online (like on Amazon). Do you have any suggestion? Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.mimic-cables.com/products/custom-headphone-cable

mimic cables have coiling options for all their products. never purchased them, but saw it from browsing. may fit what you are looking for.

edit: for 3.5 to 3.5 jacks, this link is probably more suitable: http://www.mimic-cables.com/products/custom-interconnect-audio-cable

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 12
Maybe get a replacement cable for a dj/studio set of cans that come coiled?
You should be able to source an AIAIAI replacement coiled cable in europe pretty easy I should expect.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 12
I seem to recall watching a tutorial where a guy wrapped some microphone cable tightly around a broomstick and applied a low level of heat. When it cooled, it was a coiled cable. I don't want to personally recommend this to anyone as I don't know the specifics, but if you can find the original video it might be of use to you. This is kind of the same idea: http://www.instructables.com/id/Coiling-a-USB-power-cord/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back