Where are the Micro ZOTL owners?
Sep 9, 2005 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm kind of puzzled.
I own a David Berning ZH-270 amp for my speakers and it's quite an amazing product.
However, I see almost no mention of David's headphone amp the Micro ZOLTL around Head-Fi.
Why is that?
I've never heard the Micro ZOTL, but I would assume it's as good as his other products.
confused.gif

TR

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
I'm kind of puzzled.
I own a David Berning ZH-270 amp for my speakers and it's quite an amazing product.
However, I see almost no mention of David's headphone amp the Micro ZOLTL around Head-Fi.
Why is that?
I've never heard the Micro ZOTL, but I would assume it's as good as his other products.
confused.gif

TR

I do not think there are many of us out here. It is a great sounding amp, and I love what it did with my Sony, and even more so with the HD650. I think for the money it is hard to beat.
600smile.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 13
When I joined head-fi the Zotl was regarded as one of the very top amps. I still like mine a lot; it even drives the K1000 pretty decently.

In the archives there is a really good tuberolling thread for the Zotl--mostly researched by Hirsch.
k1000smile.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 13
The microZOTL is a great little amp, and does fine with a lot of headphones as well as small speaker systems. Hirsch's tube rolling thread that daycart1 mentioned is quite informative and adds a lot to the fun. There are lots and lots of great tube choices to experiment with.

I think that amps like the microZOTL and Sugden Headmaster don't get much press these days because they have been around for so long, and much has already been said about them. Those who own them (or have owned them) have tried "new and different" amps (although not necessarily better). IMO, both of these amps still represent a good value (especially in the used gear market), despite the fact that there has been an explosion of new amps in the headphone market during the past 3 years or so.

Sep 9, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
When I joined head-fi the Zotl was regarded as one of the very top amps. I still like mine a lot; it even drives the K1000 pretty decently.

In the archives there is a really good tuberolling thread for the Zotl--mostly researched by Hirsch.
k1000smile.gif

Thanks,
I saw that thread. I was wondering mostly if there was something about the amp people didn't like, or if it had simply fallen out of fashion.
Seems like Wmcmanus has answered that question.

Any reviews of this amp around?
Todd R

Sep 9, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Thanks,
I saw that thread. I was wondering mostly if there was something about the amp people didn't like, or if it had simply fallen out of fashion.
Seems like Wmcmanus has answered that question.

Any reviews of this amp around?
Todd R

I don't think that I ever did a formal review, although I've got a lot of posts about this amp in the archives. Short version:

Superb highs and mids, but never really got the low end right. This gives it an almost "ethereal" sound. Very airy, but never achieves real bottom end conviction. It provided a nice counterpoint to the stock Melos SHA-1 I had at the same time, which got the low end better, but never achieved the highs of the ZOTL, which I preferred. Nice imaging and very good detailing. Very good amp for the Grado HP-1000 series headphones. This was my reference amp for a long time.

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
I don't think that I ever did a formal review, although I've got a lot of posts about this amp in the archives. Short version:

Superb highs and mids, but never really got the low end right. This gives it an almost "ethereal" sound. Very airy, but never achieves real bottom end conviction. It provided a nice counterpoint to the stock Melos SHA-1 I had at the same time, which got the low end better, but never achieved the highs of the ZOTL, which I preferred. Nice imaging and very good detailing. Very good amp for the Grado HP-1000 series headphones. This was my reference amp for a long time.

Hirsch,
How was it with the Sennheisers? I'm using the HD-650, but have also owned the 580 & 600.

Sep 9, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 13
I've got a 'zotl, and this is my second one! I had found it quite bass-shy with my Senn 600's and sold it off. Since acquiring a pair of R10's and finding them bass-heavy with a bunch of amps, I got another 'zotl and am liking the combo a great deal. (Of course, maybe it was all because my first one was blue and my second one is brown.)

I will continue to seek out other amps to try with the R10's (thinking about a Rudistor at the moment), but the 'zotl is my R10 default amp for now.

600smile.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 13
I agree with Hirsch, it's a little thin and lean, not that tubey and not a bass monster. Extremely inoffensive sound.

Sep 9, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I agree with Hirsch, it's a little thin and lean, not that tubey and not a bass monster. Extremely inoffensive sound.

thanks - i was always interested in this unit. glad to hear that it may not be up my alley sonic-preference-wise.

Sep 9, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch

I agree about the Highs and Mid. I don't find mine lacking in base with either the CD3000's or my HD650, but that may be more music preference than anything else. "thin and lean" no not at all.
For the money, even new it's a good buy. Much better than the ASL MGHead that it replaced. Something like a Raptor might be better, but you are paying 2x the money.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 13
The Micro ZOTL was my first headphone amp. I purchased it used for $500 in 2005 to use with my Sennheiser HD 650's, listening to CDs on a Rotel RCD 1072. Again, it was my first headphone amp so I had nothing to compare it with but I can say that I loved it. I surely wasn't the only one because I sold it for over $1600 in 2012!

These days I use a Sennheiser HDVD 800 (which I love) but I'd really love to compare it side-by-side with a Micro ZOTL and I wish I hadn't sold it. 

I contacted David Berning just last week to see if I could purchase one and he told me that although they had stopped making the Micro ZOTL several years ago, it was coming back into production as early as this month (March 2015) under license by one Mark Schneider. That same day I received the following email from Mr. Schneider:

"The new model will be available in late March or early April.  Web site will be up at the same time.

The new version has a different case, dual inputs, better tubes, a preamp output, and the power supply is external. The electronics board and components are the same as the original except for a couple parts obsolescence replacements.

It will cost a little more, probably $999.

Both inputs are analog and there is not a balanced headphone out.

I am thinking about having a version that adds balanced outputs, bluetooth and a built in DAC.  Everyone seems very DAC particular, some want $200 DACs and some want $2K DACs, so the best approach is not so clear.

But for now, no DAC and single ended only.

I will send you an email as soon as it is available. 
Thanks for asking.

Mark Schneider
Urban Hi-Fi
Washington, DC
202-997-8469"

I for one am very curious as to how this new and apparently improved Mico ZOTL will sound and will buy one pending goods reviews. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back