When using an amp (Objective 2) connected to laptop, should you set amp's volume to max and the laptop's volume low? Or . . .
Feb 18, 2014 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ag8908

500+ Head-Fier
When using an amp (Objective 2) connected to laptop, should you set amp's volume to max and the computer's volume to a low level. Or should you, say, set the amp's volume to mid and set the laptop's volume to a higher level? Does it make any difference?

Thanks. Just curious how experts do it. Again it's the objective 2 amp but it probably applies to all amps I'm guessing.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Always set source volume at or near max. Volume should be controlled at the amp.

This method ensures maximum SNR performance. Setting amp volume to max would amplify the source noise floor by the amp's gain, actually hurting SNR.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 5

Always set source volume at or near max. Volume should be controlled at the amp.

This method ensures maximum SNR performance. Setting amp volume to max would amplify the source noise floor by the amp's gain, actually hurting SNR.

What if you can't increase the source volume and can only increase the gain and volume from the amp? Would I want low/no gain and high volume or high gain and low/medium volume?

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 5

What if you can't increase the source volume and can only increase the gain and volume from the amp? Would I want low/no gain and high volume or high gain and low/medium volume?

Listening to a fixed, line-level source is preferred.

Regardless of the source style, it's generally best to use low gain. Only switch to high gain if you need higher volume than can be achieved at low gain. Amplifier performance can differ between low and high gain (aside from SNR), and often alters bass boost curves, if present. Some experimentation is useful when you have several options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back