When should I throw out my Shure Olives?
May 22, 2012 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NoahZ

Head-Fier
I bought my Shure IEMs probably 8 months ago. I could never get the tips off, and I was perpetually afraid of freezing them. Today I finally got sick and tired of disgusting headphones, though, and decided to pop them in the freezer. Who would've thought doing the one thing everyone told me to do would actually work?

I removed the medium tips and put on a pair of small ones which seem to fit about the same, though I may wind up going back to the mediums. My question is, can I clean the nearly 8 month old pair of mediums I just removed and use them again or should I just toss them and buy a new pair of mediums if I decide I need them? Essentially, at this point after multiple hours of use a day is it just time to get rid of the old pair or could they be cleaned and reused?

May 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Just toss em lol.

May 23, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 7
I have a pair of 3 years old olive still in service. As long as you took them off every few weeks and rinse them under tap water, they will last a very long time and remain clean. If you want them to be extra clean, submerge them under pharmacy grade peroxide solution for a few minutes before rinsing should do the trick.

May 23, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I bought my Shure IEMs probably 8 months ago. I could never get the tips off, and I was perpetually afraid of freezing them. Today I finally got sick and tired of disgusting headphones, though, and decided to pop them in the freezer. Who would've thought doing the one thing everyone told me to do would actually work?

I removed the medium tips and put on a pair of small ones which seem to fit about the same, though I may wind up going back to the mediums. My question is, can I clean the nearly 8 month old pair of mediums I just removed and use them again or should I just toss them and buy a new pair of mediums if I decide I need them? Essentially, at this point after multiple hours of use a day is it just time to get rid of the old pair or could they be cleaned and reused?

You can prolong the usage by cleaning them as mentioned in the previous post, but ultimately they need to be replaced. For now, better go for new ones so that you can clean them regularly.

May 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I have a pair of 3 years old olive still in service. As long as you took them off every few weeks and rinse them under tap water, they will last a very long time and remain clean. If you want them to be extra clean, submerge them under pharmacy grade peroxide solution for a few minutes before rinsing should do the trick.

3 yrs. wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back