When Money Gets Tight (What do YOU do to feed the habit?)
Apr 29, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #16 of 53
Learn how to cook. You'll save a small fortune over eating out. I know ramen is something of a joke here, but there are lots of great, cheap foods. Rice, eggs and a few vegetables can get me by for a week on $10 or so.

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #17 of 53
Learn how to cook. You'll save a small fortune over eating out. I know ramen is something of a joke here, but there are lots of great, cheap foods. Rice, eggs and a few vegetables can get me by for a week on $10 or so.

Oh of course. I stir fry quite often, and that'll probably be my main way of eating for a long time to come.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #18 of 53

Quote:
At least shrimp would be less salt in my already salty diet. Will cost more though. I did notice that I get a lot more salt and stomache related bathroom issues. I've kind of accepted that as a normal part of my daily routine.

Be careful with that.  I like Shin Ramyun as much as the next college student (I'm waaay past college BTW), but I could never get myself to drink the soup afterwards.  There was a time when I could, but the thought of ulcers and stomach-related cancers kind of got me to back off.  After a while, you just won't want to go there anyway.  I used to be a salt-freak, but I think I'm a bit more aware of it now.  At least drink a lot of green tea or water. 
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 53
It's pretty obvious when you hit the critical point where you realize money is getting tight you have to dump your life savings/assets into lottery tickets.

(PROTIP: Add numbers that mean to something to you (birthdays, year of graduation, anniversaries, your dog's age) together to get a foolproof number - you can't lose!)

So once you do some addition, get your magic numbers printed out.
Then win the your state/national lottery and collect your funds. Pretty easy huh? But that's not all...

** You can repeat the process again and again with your initial winnings by re-INVESTING the funds (in more lottery tickets of course) for an even bigger jackpot !! **

That's what I do when money gets tight but let's please try to keep this knowledge within Head-Fi, I don't want people to steal my insurance policy when I really, really need the extra 15 M
mad.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #20 of 53
I recently faked my own death and had my family collect the insurance payout, which was then wired to an offshore account in the Cayman Islands for laundering.  I then had the money funneled back into the country via a dummy corporation, and got the money sent to my new identity.

Worked like a charm.

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #21 of 53
Quote:
Be careful with that.  I like Shin Ramyun as much as the next college student (I'm waaay past college BTW), but I could never get myself to drink the soup afterwards.  There was a time when I could, but the thought of ulcers and stomach-related cancers kind of got me to back off.  After a while, you just won't want to go there anyway.  I used to be a salt-freak, but I think I'm a bit more aware of it now.  At least drink a lot of green tea or water. 
wink.gif

I only got out of college recently but I still LOVE Shin Ramyun. I almost never drink the soup though. It's guaranteed bathroom time if I do that, but sometimes I take the risk.

It's going to be financially difficult for me again so I'll try to manage some better food. I heard kimchi is good at preventing stomache cancers.  I wonder if I can trust that since Koreans have such a high level of stomache related cancers.

Vegetables are freakin expensive.

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #22 of 53

Quote:
I only got out of college recently but I still LOVE Shin Ramyun. I almost never drink the soup though. It's guaranteed bathroom time if I do that, but sometimes I take the risk.

It's going to be financially difficult for me again so I'll try to manage some better food. I heard kimchi is good at preventing stomache cancers.  I wonder if I can trust that since Koreans have such a high level of stomache related cancers.

You almost made tea come out of my nose.  
etysmile.gif

I think Asians in general have a lot of stomach problems due to lots of sodium in their diet.  It is too bad that the cost of produce and even cereal, both good sources of fiber and traditionally cheap, are going up in price.

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #24 of 53

Quote:

Frozen vegetables are inexpensive, nutritious, and easy to prepare. Not quite as tasty as fresh, but hey, can't have everything. Canned vegetables aren't too hard on the wallet either, but can be a lot higher sodium and significantly more expensive than frozen once water weight is accounted for.

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #25 of 53
Depends on where you get the vegetables. Some supermarkets are ridiculously expensive. If you have a farmer's market or roadside stands (lots down here), you can often get them cheap. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are inexpensive and provide a lot of bulk. Onions can be inexpensive, and I also like carrots and broccoli, which aren't terribly expensive around here. I'll occasionally indulge with asparagus and artichokes.

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #26 of 53
I usually look out for canned veggies on sale on my local grocery stores (one day, I bought 10 cans of corn -- still have em in my pantry).

Same as chickens -- bought in bulk, froze 'em, only defrost what I need (sometimes I de-bone them myself).

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #27 of 53

Quote:
Depends on where you get the vegetables. Some supermarkets are ridiculously expensive. If you have a farmer's market or roadside stands (lots down here), you can often get them cheap. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are inexpensive and provide a lot of bulk. Onions can be inexpensive, and I also like carrots and broccoli, which aren't terribly expensive around here. I'll occasionally indulge with asparagus and artichokes.

x2, over here in Michigan there is a farmer market called Eastern Market where alot of local farmers come and sell there products. It is set in a 1930's -50's town and there are cheese shops, fresh meat shops, candy shops, nut shops, pottery, etc,etc. Its is so beautiful down there on a perfect day and you can easily blow $400.

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #28 of 53
Actually a lot of Asian supermarkets have cheap vegetables.  Sure, you won't find portabello mushrooms or anything exclusively western but you the staples and some other good stuff.  Like baby bok choy - good for soups.  

To answer the thread's question: I flip computer components and laptops.  A friend just bought and sold 4 HDs from craigslist to ebay and made himself $500 in the process.  I've probably made a grand or two in the last  year just buying and reselling.  I don't like to invest money I actually earn at work in head-fi.  =]

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #29 of 53
Nearfield Audio as a hobby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back