When is the NWZ-A847 Coming??!!
Nov 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #31 of 92
Hmm, seems the 1060 (mine arrives today) may be the better option, despite the lousy browser. I may check out the Cowon S9 as well, since it is $100 cheaper than the X and sounds more along the lines of what I need/want (and it plays flac). But we'll see. Thanks Bakhtiar, that is very interesting. Wonder why/how the A84X would sound any different than the X? Doesn't make sense.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #32 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the brief translations! I must say that I am not very pleased with the descriptions of the A847-sound. Of course this is only one review but if others confirm this I'll buy an X-1000 instead. Any news on a 64GB X-1000 btw?

Doubt there will be a 64gb x-1000, with the x-1100 with android 2.0 rumored to be surfacing in january

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #33 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is my rusty translation, on one of the SQ part
smily_headphones1.gif

At X1060 POV, X1060 can reproduce solid bass, wider soundstage, and smoother sound than the A847. X1060 has better ambiance and imaging, especially when listening to live performances.

Others...
A847 is lean toward to brighter sound signature, with lack of bass...

Ok. I need to go home now.
smily_headphones1.gif
... Others can continue reading and translate it to English
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

That's crazy. Why would they mess with a good thing regarding the SQ? It certainly lessens my interest. Perhaps it's a conscious choice by Sony engineers to preserve the flagship status of the X, dunno.

Anyway, thanks for the translation of such a valuable bit of info.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #34 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitarbegshe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Doubt there will be a 64gb x-1000, with the x-1100 with android 2.0 rumored to be surfacing in january

Do you have more details or a source on that? Google doesn't seem to know anything about it?

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #35 of 92
Out of respect for my colleague, I'd rather not go into it.

But really, it should come as no surprise, as with sony's naming convention, CES electronics show in january and the widely known fact of sony wanting to get onto the android platform as soon as possible.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #36 of 92
Good thing I have until 1/31 to send the 1060X back via Amazon, if a 64GB model is possibly hitting the street in 2010. I would rather have a 64GB A84X model, but not if it's more digital sounding. The 1060X arrives today. Looking forward to it. Only downside to the 64GB Sony, of either model, is the price. It's sure to be a killer.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #37 of 92
Quote:

But really, it should come as no surprise, as with sony's naming convention, CES electronics show in january and the widely known fact of sony wanting to get onto the android platform as soon as possible.

So you work for Sony? In Dutch there is saying that "when you say A you have to say B".
wink_face.gif

I am just too curious and impatient to have a new DAP - preferably a Sony.
regular_smile .gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #38 of 92
Quote:

that definitely makes sense, when you look at it that way. and the best part is that with android Sony Walkmans get finally get FLAC SUPPORT!!!

and also galpless and on the go playlist support and pretty much anythinng that is software related. i just hope that sony keeps the wonderful audio found in the X series!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #40 of 92
"Smaller soundstage, less bass, not as good with live performances"... that doesn't sound promising at all
frown.gif

I assumed the S-master amp would guarantee the same sound quality as the X.

Does the 'A' have different internals or something?
confused.gif

Thanks Bhaki for the info.

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #41 of 92
Hi,every little bit of HW(from a sigle Cap to a Chip etc)you put in,link up etc,seem's/as a effect on sound quality/sig etc.Circuitry design etc etc.
Same with AV Amp/Recievers,comparing to a dedicated stereo HiFi Amp(Integrated or Pre-Amp + Power Amp).Even if they have say a Pure' stereo mode ie cut off power to all other circuits/HW,they in general are not as good as a dedicated HiFI Amp,in a lot of cases,by a long shot.Unless a really expensive one like Bryston etc.At least thats what you read,Bryston out of my league pricewise,well considering other comitments.things.
You can bet its always harder to make a 'can do this,do that,got this processer etc'sound as good as more simply design.Maybe you can look at audio HW design engineers as electronic Chef's
dt880smile.png

Why worry Soozieq,you have the 'X' to keep you going,have to put up with those itchy feet etc thou
dt880smile.png
,buy lots more CD's.

Cheers BOB

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #42 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Smaller soundstage, less bass, not as good with live performances"... that doesn't sound promising at all
frown.gif

I assumed the S-master amp would guarantee the same sound quality as the X.

Does the 'A' have different internals or something?
confused.gif

Compared to A847, the X1000 has better bass, better imaging and better life performance. But, these were based on the reviewer's view.

Even IF the A847 and X1000 has the SAME HW, Sony already mentioned that the X1000 is the 'BEST' walkman EVER. So, IMHO, so naturally, they tuned the X sound signature to be the best, either by SW or HW. So for now, the 'best sound' in walkman series is the X, and the next X series appear probably by next year. I hope they offer much larger capacity, 64GB or 128GB, Android OS and much faster CPU/processing My only wish is the SPDIF out
smily_headphones1.gif
. Till then, I am enjoying my X
smily_headphones1.gif
with my high-end universal IEMs and (soon) custom IEMs.

If I have time, I'll complete the translation, or, better ask 'Sasaki' or any head-fiers who currently live in Japan to help us, to do the auditon/testing and give more reviews.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #43 of 92
Quote:

My only wish is the SPDIF out
smily_headphones1.gif
. Till then, I am enjoying my X
smily_headphones1.gif
with my high-end universal IEMs and (soon) custom IEMs.

Sony used to include a combo 3.5mm analog line out and toslink out on the higher end CD Walkmans but I think that was primarily for digitial connection to Minidisc or DAT. Toslink could be added to the 3.5mm combo input/output jack on the X. Let's add analog line out too while we're at it
smily_headphones1.gif

bakhtiar, Which custom IEMs are you getting?

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #44 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by spuddler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why worry Soozieq,you have the 'X' to keep you going

Yes I know, but I'd like the extra capacity. 32GB is good, but I'm using about 8GB in WAV files for my gapless albums, so an extra 32GB to play around with would be great. If a 64GB X comes along, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, I don't use mine for browsing anyway.

Quote:

have to put up with those itchy feet etc thou
dt880smile.png
buy lots more CD's.

I have about 900 CDs and that's plenty for me at the moment. Small collection by other people's standards maybe, but it works out to about 800 hours of music and that's enough to keep me occupied. I'm adding CDs really slowly these days, I have just about everything I want
smily_headphones1.gif

bakhtiar- Thanks for the info. I guess one person's review isn't enough to bass an opinion on - but when it's a negative impression, it's hard not to
biggrin.gif

I would really look forward to a larger capacity X with a better browser, but capacity is my main priority. I just use mine to check email if I don't have my Touch with me, so browsing isn't a big deal, it would just be a nice bonus.

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #45 of 92
hey everyone,

here's my attempt at translating the 2nd post,

SQ Review:

---
disclaimer: SQ review is 100% personal opinion.. each player's equalizer, active noise cancelling, ?cross talk? noise cancelling (clear stereo), virtual surround (VPT) added effects and other factors (headphone extension cords) will affect the sound

my SQ ranges are super low, low, mid, high and super high
---

Q: has A840 series' S-Master hardware (digital amp) been upgraded/modified from the X1000 series to improve/change the playback white noise, sound quality?

A: the hw in the A840 series is the same as the one in the X1000 series

- the above is the answer the reviewer got when he purchased the A847 (from store).. but was doubting that the X and the A will sound the same
- his doubt was confirmed once he listened to the A

?- high's were better on the A

Quote:

At X1060 POV, X1060 can reproduce solid bass, wider soundstage, and smoother sound than the A847. X1060 has better ambiance and imaging, especially when listening to live performances.

Others...
A847 is lean toward to brighter sound signature, with lack of bass...

- after listening to different sources (music), it seems the X is better than the A
- the included MDR-NC033 headphones were also not as good as the MDR-NC020 headphones included with the X

--- this post was more difficult to understand.. so hopefully i've translated the parts correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back