When did you realise you had been sucked in?
Dec 29, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #32 of 77
It's the sigs. Sigs are evil. EVIL! You can justify practically anything if you read long enough.

"Hell, look at all the crap that guy's got."

"Jeez, look at that upgrade path (no 'TheSloth', I'm not talking about you
rolleyes.gif
)"

"All I want is <insert the crap you want to buy here> which isn't a big deal. This other guy has <way more crap>."

The best is "but <better and more expensive crap> is just $175 more than what I'm planning to get." Do that a few times and you end up lurking in the classifieds for a used Orpheus, eBaying things you don't need anymore, justifying spending future bonuses, tax refunds, etc. before you get them, trying to find a negative post on a piece of gear you want so you can justify moving to the next level.

Scared your wife will intercept the UPS/FexEx guy before you do?

It's craziness.

(and yes, I'm saving for something bigger, sicker, and more expensive . . .)

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #33 of 77
For me, it was when I "replaced" my Senn 580 in my main rig with the nearly identical Senn 600!

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #34 of 77
Probably a few times....

1. When I actually thought 500 dollars was reasonable to spend on headphones

2. When I could name the headphones of every person I walked by on campus, (thats 40,000 students....a lot of heapdhones)

3. When I offered to hold a head-fi meet at my house

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #35 of 77
It all started a year after coming to this place and buying A-A900s based on other people's recommendations. Then I started to want better sounding stuff, and initially I had my sights on a DT880. Then I started to look for an amp, and I originally set the budget for the amp at $300. Then I found out about tube amps, and then BAM! A week and half later, I had a PPX3 and ordered the K701s. That's when I realized I got sucked in, because the PPX3 was double my original budget, and even then I thought: this is pretty good for the money. And now I'm thinking about source upgrades. And all of this started when I told myself that I would not spend over $100 on headphones when I first started looking for one.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #37 of 77
Started in the summer when I bought the E3c's and then followed it up with the E4c's. I was a good boy since August/September. However, I bought my sister a nice Taylor guitar at the Guitar Center where I somehow got pulled into the headphone department and heard a Beyer 770-80 out of an amp. So what happened in these past 2 weeks??? I'm waiting for my Hornet amp, got Sen 280pros, and am waiting until next week to head into NYC to look for a possible "kick me in the ass because I'm spending WAY TOO much money" headphones (dunno between Beyer 770-80's, 880's new or old, Sen 650/600, 701's, or God knows what else). Any advice?
evil_smiley.gif
Guys... I'm totally sucked into this God forsaken blackhole. Life is good
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #39 of 77
Had the HD600 and was happy without an amp (actually I didn't know that something like a Headphoneamp exists).
Then I went to the Senn sales booth at an exhibition and saw the Big O. It was not allowed to audition them at this stand but when I told my father who was with me what it was one person smiled and asked if I would like to hear them (kinda helped that I was a lovely little kid
biggrin.gif
) - she became trouble by the other persons while I listened to them which was sad, but I heard the best sound in my life. From then I was addicted and learned about Amps and so on. I found head-fi and ordered the MS-1 because I couldn't wait to have enough money for an amp and the Senn 650. Since then I bought an K271 just because the price I found was very very low and I bought the HF1 just to hear what the woodthing is all about.
Right now I'm happy with my gear - nevertheless I would buy the Daddy O if I would win the lottery
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #41 of 77
A big Level 2 here. on headfi and most other aspects of life, hahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
Ah, there are such subtle levels of being 'sucked in'. Might I submit, a la Dante's 'Inferno", there are 9 distinct levels:

Level 1 - LimboVirtuous Non-Believers (Before I found Moon and Grover cables)
Level 2 - Lustful (Built both m³ AND Millett Hybrid)
Level 3 - Gluttonous (Purchased 2 Wheatfields AND an Eddie Current HD300)
Level 4 - Prodigal and Avaricious
Level 5 - Wrathful and Gloomy
Level 6 - The City of Dis Heretics
Level 7 - Violent
Level 8- the Malebolge Fraudulent, Malicious, Panderers
Level 9 - Cocytus Treacherous

So, on self valuation, I'm sitting at Level 3 of the Inferno... though wondering what I jump to for debating that I really can afford some R-10s, but NOT balanced.

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #42 of 77
I think the moment I loaded up my Rio Karma and started listening, I had no illusions of what was going to happen. And people called me crazy in high school for spending $50 on Koss TD/80s.

Dec 29, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #43 of 77
When I paused to realize that, I had 8 set of cans, 5 amps, and only 1 head! What!
eek.gif

Thank God for the For Sale Board! Although, now I'm thinking what can I buy next with my sale proceeds!

Dec 29, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #44 of 77
I thought I'd already got it bad when I've got a PA2V2 & a pair of HD555 as well as having a MS1 on order but today I've trumped myself!

I've just ordered a Corda Aria as it looks so nice and I'm sure that it should sound much better then my Audigy ZS Platinum Pro for my music.... and I was thinking I'm meant to be saving up to get myself a new car!!

Dec 29, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #45 of 77
I'd call that a gradual process. But I guess I got totally sucked in when I found out I badly need an amp for my main setup after having heard the G3. Unfortunately my wallet isn't cooperating...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back