When Di you learn English? (non-native English Speaking Head-fi'ers here now!)
Dec 17, 2008 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
As Head-fi is an international site and knowing that many Headfi'ers come from countries in which English isn't the main language spoken, I was jsut wondering when did you learn English?
smily_headphones1.gif

For me, even though I live in an English speaking country, I didn't really learn English until I was 5 years old (great teacher, one of the best I've ever had, would like to thank her sometime).

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
13. Used body language for 3 years before figuring out how to speak some English.

At "only" age 26, I never thought that I would feel "old"... until I spent more and more time around this place...
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 42
Hm I dunno when I started to learn english. I think of that as my second language (kinda) even though I lived in Australia for my first 3 years of life. I always speak cantonese at home. I guess I first started learning it in school when I was around 5-6. It could've been earlier than that though, I'm just not sure.
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 42
Being in the french province of an english speaking country, I started learning english at school at around 9 years old. I didn't learn any "practical" english there but it was a good start.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being in the french province of an english speaking country, I started learning english at school at around 9 years old. I didn't learn any "practical" english there but it was a good start.

Dang you all and your quirky language up there!
tongue.gif

I'm currently trying to write a syntax paper comparing structures of European French and Canadian French, and I'm having a crazy hard time formulating hypotheses for some of the inner structural workings of your language...
redface.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 42
hmm... When I was 5 years old my dad took a job at the Netherlands. I went to school at the British School in the Netherlands (BSN), I studied there until I was 9, that's where I learned my English. Oh, and I currently watch a lot of English speaking TV with no subtitles and I read a lot (books and stuff on the internet) so I have much practice.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 42
start learning English at fifth grade, completely useless due to lack of practice

came to America at 12
refuse to speak english for a whole year, considering moving back to Taiwan at some point.

then eventually... decided to accept English as my second language at 12, took me another 3 years to have my thought process construct in English. Now I can switch to Chinese and English thinking when ever I want.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 42
I've started learning when i was 11 in school and by the same time we've got a cable tv and it had cartoon network .
popcorn.gif

After 3 years of tv + school i can speak english pretty well IMO.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 42
I don't speak English. If I talk in chinese and people don't understand, I usually just bash them until they speak chinese. Trust me, everyone speaks chinese eventually.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 42
Well, I had 9 years of English lessons at school. With the first lesson at age 10 in 1982...

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 42
I don't speak english at all, I just copy&paste from other threads...
biggrin.gif

At school, starting at 5th grade (when I was around 10 IIRC) , uni and work and friends from the UK, USA and Mexico. Especially talking to my friends helps a lot...

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 42
I've started "learning" English as my third language (Italian is my fourth) about 8 years ago watching English/American movies and shows with subtitles in Serbia. Four years later when i moved to Italy i tried to watch without them, and eventually got use to it .

Started to actually communicate with people for the first time on this forum a couple of months ago so I'm still learning. Luckily enough, English is not what one would consider the hardest language in the world and it's pretty common these days. Google helps allot too
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back